1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bologna Bottle

1. Oct 15, 2009 #1
    Is it possible to make one of these at home using an everyday glass bottle? If so could anyone tell me how?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2
    Well wikipedia says that it is produced by cooling a hot bottle rapidly on the inside and slowly on the outside. So if you heat the bottle in a fire and pour cold water inside it might work. But of course that might cause the bottle to crack so wear safety goggles.

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    Thanks! I kinda thought this would be how to do it. The thing is I have no clue how long to heat the bottle, what temperature to heat it at, or how cold the water should be.

:confused:

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4
    Me neither, but there must be sites about glas blower techniques online.

6. Oct 16, 2009 #5
    Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

7. Oct 16, 2009 #6
    I would recommend using gloves and an apron and eye protection.

8. Oct 16, 2009 #7
    I will definatley take safety precautions for sure, Just dont know how long to heat it befor tipping the cold water in

9. Oct 16, 2009 #8
    I'm replying mainly because I get the idea that you are going to try this and want to make sure you understand that you should be wearing your safety gear even for your "tests", your "pre-test tests" and everything in between.

BTW, I have never done this either.

Make sure you start with a bottle that is dry. I've seen beer bottles explode when they had some liquid left in them at campsites when put in a fire. Might have been because of a thermal gradient along the length of the bottle, but who knows.

10. Oct 16, 2009 #9
    Thanks for the info! I wont even think of trying this before I know exactly what I should be doing.

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook