Boltzmann Brains: Are They Taken Seriously by Scientists?

• Thread starter RyanJones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boltzmann
In summary, many physicists believe that there is nothing worthwhile examining the concept of a Boltzmann Brain, and it is a thought experiment only.
RyanJones
How seriously are Boltzmann Brains taken by the scientific community? I understand there is at least some mathematical evidence for their (someday?) existence, but do many physicists think that there is anything worthwhile in examining the issue? Or, is it one of those "how many angels on the head of a pin" questions?

And, if it's not too sci-fi-ey for me to ask, are there any reasonable ideas about what the "anatomy" of a Boltzmann Brain might be?

Thanks. I checked out wikipedia already, but I have no idea what is really true on that site.

Space news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread re-opened.

Here is a reply from a physics Mentor who has reviewed your post: :smile:

The concept itself is not "taken seriously" in the sense that physicists seriously expect Boltzmann Brains to ever exist, as far as I can see. It's more a sort of test that's used when evaluating cosmological models--i.e., an empirically viable model should not predict that a randomly chosen observer is more likely to be a Boltzmann Brain than an ordinary observer (one whose brain evolved and developed in the ordinary way). See, for example, this paper (Sean Carroll is a co-author):

http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.4686

Likes RyanJones
It's merely a thought experiment of the kind that amuses theoretical physicists at dinner parties. No one takes it seriously.

Likes RyanJones
Thanks everyone. Even tho the paper is a bit above my head, I really appreciate it. So, the use of a brain in the Boltzmann Brain thought experiment is arbitrary? As in, we could use any object to illustrate the same idea? (A Boltzmann Eye, for example?)

RyanJones said:
So, the use of a brain in the Boltzmann Brain thought experiment is arbitrary?

Not really. The point of using a whole brain is that, at least according to the thought experiment, it could have experiences; so, for example, if we take just one instant of your experience, there would be no way to distinguish it from a Boltzmann Brain having been brought into existence by a quantum fluctuation, and being in the exact same state as your brain at that instant. In other words, a Boltzmann Brain can count as an "observer", at least for an instant.

In his "Chance and the Arrow" chapter of his 2003 book The Fabric of the Cosmos, Brian Greene spends about 32 pages trying unconvincingly to argue around the sorry fact that the conventional "reality" of the outside world is, in fact, quite a huge bit less probable (thermodynamically speaking) than the possibility that it's all being imagined by the brain in a vat. In contemporary terms, the latter possibility would, unfortunately, require much less of a quantum fluctuation. I've heard somewhere, probably in Wikipedia, that Boltzmann figured that the distinction between past and future was what we'd now call a tiny quantum fluctuation.

Since Boltzmann committed suicide, I've got to add that I've never understood why the most "economical" processes are considered likelier--they're likelier to be well known in a species that communicates, because they can be expressed more rapidly, but, although Occam's Razor may minimize the work of scientists, redundant complications do at least seem to characterize nature in general and biology in particular.

Slatts, I doubt the universe gives a rats ass about probability economy or any other human intellectual construct. We are trying to make sense of it, not it of us.

Likes berkeman
Good point...Sometimes the simpler explanation will be the more correct. Especially with my own level of ignorance, that is what I'm counting on here. (Except on not being a brain in a vat--there I'm going with the vastly more complicated solution...consistency is nice, but who cares?)

Last edited:

1. What are Boltzmann Brains?

Boltzmann Brains are hypothetical self-aware entities that could spontaneously form through random fluctuations in the universe according to the Boltzmann distribution. These entities have the same level of complexity as human brains but lack a physical body or any real connection to the external world.

2. Are Boltzmann Brains taken seriously by scientists?

The concept of Boltzmann Brains is a highly debated topic among scientists. Some scientists argue that it is a valid possibility based on the laws of physics, while others criticize it as a philosophical argument with no scientific evidence. Overall, the majority of scientists do not take Boltzmann Brains seriously as a real phenomenon in our universe.

3. How do Boltzmann Brains relate to the theory of the multiverse?

Some scientists have used the concept of Boltzmann Brains to support the idea of a multiverse, where there are infinite universes with different physical laws. In this scenario, it is argued that Boltzmann Brains are more likely to exist in a universe with a low entropy, which is more probable in a multiverse with infinite possibilities.

4. Can Boltzmann Brains explain the origin of consciousness?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that Boltzmann Brains can explain the origin of consciousness. Consciousness is a complex phenomenon that involves the physical brain and its interactions with the external world, which cannot be replicated by a Boltzmann Brain without a physical body.

5. How does the Boltzmann Brain concept challenge the anthropic principle?

The anthropic principle states that the universe must be compatible with the existence of observers, such as humans. The idea of Boltzmann Brains challenges this principle by suggesting that we may be one of many self-aware entities that exist in a universe without a physical world. This raises questions about the uniqueness of our universe and our place in it.