Bonding Steel to Nylon - Glue & Epoxy Recommendations

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a glue or epoxy that can bond steel to nylon with a force tolerance of 30-50lb. The suggestion of using a barbing technique or West System epoxy is mentioned as possible solutions. It is also suggested to properly prepare the surfaces and consider the load when using an epoxy resin.
Mindscrape
Anyone know of any glues or epoxies that would be able to bond steel to nylon fairly well? It should be able to withstand about 30-50lb of force, and the steel fastener is only about 8oz, so I don't need anything hardcore like 2ton epoxy, rather something that is simple and over the counter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's at least one link to a good adhesive supplier's site around here somewhere; I'll try to find it.
Have you considered just 'barbing' the steel and moulding the nylon around it? That would be pretty solid.

Check out West System epoxy.

An epoxy resin should do it, if you prepare the surfaces well and the load isn't excessive.

Related to Bonding Steel to Nylon - Glue & Epoxy Recommendations

1. How do I bond steel to nylon?

To bond steel to nylon, you can use either glue or epoxy. Both options have their own advantages, so it ultimately depends on your specific needs. Glue is easier to use and works best for smaller surface areas, while epoxy is stronger and more durable for larger surface areas.

2. What type of glue or epoxy should I use to bond steel to nylon?

For bonding steel to nylon, it is recommended to use a two-part epoxy or a cyanoacrylate glue (also known as "super glue"). These types of adhesives have a strong bond and are specifically designed to bond metal to plastic.

3. Can I use regular household glue to bond steel to nylon?

No, regular household glue is not strong enough to bond steel to nylon. It is important to use adhesives that are specifically designed for this purpose to ensure a strong and durable bond.

4. How do I prepare the surfaces before bonding steel to nylon?

Both surfaces should be clean and free of any dirt, oil, or debris. It is recommended to use a degreaser or rubbing alcohol to clean the surfaces before applying the adhesive. In addition, roughening the surfaces with sandpaper can help create a stronger bond.

5. How long does it take for the adhesive to bond steel to nylon?

The drying time for adhesives varies depending on the type and brand. However, in general, it is recommended to leave the bonded materials undisturbed for at least 24 hours to ensure a strong bond. It is important to follow the instructions on the adhesive packaging for specific drying times.