1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book on Chemical Thermodynamics

1. Nov 29, 2014 #1
    Hi
    I am currently using a book called "An Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Daniel Schroeder, and there is a part of the book I am struggling with. So, I am looking for some other book that can help me learn the same stuff (to get a different perspective on the same material). For people familiar with the book, I am struggling with chapter five. For those who are not:

It is a chapter on free energy and chemical thermodynamics. The part I am struggling with is the chemical thermodynamics. For instance, the parts he uses one equation in particular are odd to me (for ideal gasses):

[tex] μ(T,P) = μ^0(T)+ kTln(\frac{P}{P^0})[/tex]

He deduces this by using Gibbs free energy. I get the deduction, but I do not understand how to use it.

So, when he asks me to use this in exercises to understand what happens when, for instance, an inert gas is added to a system in which a reactive gas is in equilibrium with its liquid phase, I do not know what to do.

He uses the equation above to deduce Raoult's law.

I do not understand osmotic pressure, phase transitions of mixtures and Van't Hoff's formula.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Lewis & Randall, 2nd ed., revised by Pitzer & Brewer. Or, Irving Klotz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook