1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book to learn how to solve tough problems.

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    I'm having a hard time with the Irodov problems in General physics, especially with some of the last multistep problems as well as the waves/optics section, mainly because there are more advanced applications of extended object momentum, non-inertial frame, gyroscopic motion that I haven't learnt yet.

Is there a rigorous undergrad level book that has many worked examples and can supplement well the Irodov Problems in General Physics?

I have the Resnick Halliday, but its treatment seems way too simplistic for me to tackle olympiad level problems like those on Irodov.

Here are the topics I need to strengthen:

1. Extended object mechanics (as well as kinematic relationships between interacting objects, which is widely used on pulley problems in Irodov)
    2. non-inertial frames (was well as Work-Energy theorem in non-inertial frame)
    3. Optics (especially the E&M aspect of optics)
    4. gyroscopic motion
    5. angular momentum

Some problems I have a hard time, include:
    - rolling object hits a corner,
    - 2 mass connected by a spring are accelerated by a force
    - 2 masses connected by a spring vertically and both leaving the ground after releasing the spring??
    - hideous pulley problems

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted