Book to learn how to solve tough problems.

• Thread starter integration
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, I would recommend University Physics with Modern Physics as a supplement to the Irodov Problems in General Physics, as it covers all the necessary topics and provides helpful examples and solutions.
integration
I'm having a hard time with the Irodov problems in General physics, especially with some of the last multistep problems as well as the waves/optics section, mainly because there are more advanced applications of extended object momentum, non-inertial frame, gyroscopic motion that I haven't learned yet.

Is there a rigorous undergrad level book that has many worked examples and can supplement well the Irodov Problems in General Physics?

I have the Resnick Halliday, but its treatment seems way too simplistic for me to tackle olympiad level problems like those on Irodov.

Here are the topics I need to strengthen:

1. Extended object mechanics (as well as kinematic relationships between interacting objects, which is widely used on pulley problems in Irodov)
2. non-inertial frames (was well as Work-Energy theorem in non-inertial frame)
3. Optics (especially the E&M aspect of optics)
4. gyroscopic motion
5. angular momentum

Some problems I have a hard time, include:
- rolling object hits a corner,
- 2 mass connected by a spring are accelerated by a force
- 2 masses connected by a spring vertically and both leaving the ground after releasing the spring??
- hideous pulley problems

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend the book University Physics with Modern Physics by Young and Freedman. It has a very comprehensive coverage of all the topics you mentioned and includes worked examples to help you understand the concepts better. There are also end-of-chapter problems that you can use to test your understanding. Additionally, there is an accompanying Student Solutions Manual that provides step-by-step solutions to all the end-of-chapter problems so you can check your work.

I understand your frustration with tackling advanced physics problems, such as those found in the Irodov book. It is important to remember that solving tough problems requires not only a strong understanding of the underlying concepts, but also practice and perseverance.

One book that I would recommend for strengthening your understanding and problem-solving skills is "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. This textbook covers all the topics you mentioned and provides numerous worked examples and practice problems. It also has a rigorous approach that may be more suited for tackling olympiad level problems.

In addition to using textbooks, I would also suggest seeking out additional resources such as online lecture series or problem-solving workshops. These can provide a deeper understanding of the concepts and offer different perspectives on solving problems.

It is also important to remember that solving problems is a process and it takes time to develop the skills needed. Don't get discouraged if you struggle with certain problems, use them as an opportunity to identify areas where you need to strengthen your understanding.

I would also recommend seeking out a study group or finding a tutor who can provide guidance and help you work through challenging problems. Sometimes having a different perspective or approach can make all the difference in solving tough problems.

Remember to stay persistent and keep practicing, and you will see improvement in your problem-solving skills. Don't be afraid to ask for help and use all available resources to strengthen your understanding. With dedication and hard work, you will be able to tackle even the toughest problems in physics.

I understand the frustration and challenges that come with solving tough problems in physics. It is important to have a strong foundation in fundamental concepts and principles before attempting more advanced applications.

I would recommend looking into textbooks such as "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, or "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman. These books provide a rigorous and thorough treatment of mechanics, including extended object mechanics, non-inertial frames, and angular momentum.

For optics, I suggest "Introduction to Optics" by Frank L. Pedrotti and "Principles of Optics" by Max Born and Emil Wolf. These books cover the electromagnetic aspect of optics in depth and provide many worked examples to supplement your understanding.

Additionally, practicing with problem-solving books specifically geared towards physics olympiads, such as "Problems in General Physics" by IE Irodov or "Physics Olympiad Problems" by Andrei Konyaev, can greatly improve your problem-solving skills.

Remember to also utilize online resources such as lectures, tutorials, and practice problems to supplement your learning. With dedication and perseverance, I am confident that you will be able to tackle even the toughest problems in physics. Good luck!

Related to Book to learn how to solve tough problems.

1. What is the purpose of this book?

The purpose of this book is to provide readers with a systematic approach to solving tough problems. It teaches various strategies and techniques that can be applied to any type of problem, making it a versatile resource for individuals in any field.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics and gradually progresses to more advanced problem-solving techniques. It is written in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, making it accessible to readers of all levels.

3. Does this book cover specific types of problems?

Yes, this book covers a wide range of problems including mathematical, scientific, and real-world problems. It provides a general framework that can be tailored to different types of problems, allowing readers to apply the concepts to their specific area of interest.

4. Are there practice problems included in this book?

Yes, this book includes numerous practice problems throughout each chapter to help readers apply the strategies they have learned. It also includes a section at the end of each chapter with more challenging problems for readers to test their understanding.

5. Can this book be used as a reference guide?

Definitely! This book can be used as a reference guide for tackling tough problems. It is organized in a way that makes it easy to find specific strategies and techniques, making it a valuable resource for both students and professionals.