Physics Major Struggles with Integration: Books to Help

In summary, the speaker, a physics major, faced difficult integrals in their advanced quantum mechanics course and feels embarrassed for not learning integration properly. They are seeking a book recommendation to improve their skills in integration for future physics courses. The speaker is advised to review integration material in single variable calculus and websites like Brilliant.org are suggested for practice. The conversation also mentions a specific integral and its relation to sin(x) and e^x. The speaker is reassured that they are not the only one who would struggle with such an integral and are thankful for the book suggestion.
clumps tim
As a physics major, I felt devastated today when I had to face the toughest integrals in my life for advanced quantum mech course. I am really embarrassed I did bot learn integration properly. please suggest me a good book that will help me excel in sort of integraion I will face for QM and later physics courses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any math methods book (ex. the one by Mary Boas) will probably cover integrals needed for physics courses. I'm curious, do you remember what the integrals were?

Last edited:
I remember one, I wanted to do it by integration by parts and then I see its not doable that way.

integral ( r^2 e^(-r/a) sin(kr)) dr

I t must be pretty easy that I misses due to my ignorance

Was that for a test? If so, that's a bit strange to not provide an integral table. You might do well to review integration material in a single variable calculus, I don't think math methods books will cover integration at that level. Websites like Brilliant.org have good calculus exercises, so you might check that out too.

do you know the relation between sin(x) and e^x? it might simplify this integral to know that since e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x),

that it follows that sin(x) = (1/2i)(e^ix - e^-ix), or some such. i.e. after using this that integral would be doable by integration by parts.

but don't feel bad about that integral, many of us would be troubled by it, and your idea was essentially correct.

Likes clumps tim
mathwonk said:
many of us would be troubled by it
Yeah, it would be pretty scary to see that integral on a physics test.

Yes that was in my 1 hour midterm . I thought the instructor was going to test our physics knowledge and not scare us with tricky integrals.
anyway thanks for your suggestions. I will take a look at Boas .

1. What are the main struggles that physics majors face with integration?

Many physics majors struggle with integration because it requires a deep understanding of calculus and mathematical concepts. It can be challenging to apply these concepts to real-world problems and to visualize the integration process.

2. How can books help with understanding integration for physics majors?

Books can provide a structured and comprehensive approach to learning integration. They often offer step-by-step explanations and examples, as well as practice problems to reinforce the concepts.

3. Are there specific books that are recommended for physics majors struggling with integration?

There are many books available that cater specifically to physics majors struggling with integration. Some popular options include "Schaum's Outline of Advanced Calculus" by Robert Wrede and Murray Spiegel and "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William Briggs and Lyle Cochran.

4. Can books be a substitute for attending lectures and working on practice problems?

No, books should not be seen as a substitute for attending lectures and actively working on practice problems. They can be a helpful supplement to these activities, but it is important to also actively engage in class and practice the concepts on your own.

5. How can physics majors make the most out of using books to help with integration?

To get the most out of using books to help with integration, it is important to actively read and engage with the material. This may include taking notes, working through practice problems, and seeking help from a tutor or professor if needed. It is also helpful to connect the concepts to real-world applications to deepen understanding.