1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books for integration

Tags:
  1. Nov 11, 2014 #1
    As a physics major, I felt devastated today when I had to face the toughest integrals in my life for advanced quantum mech course. I am really embarrassed I did bot learn integration properly. please suggest me a good book that will help me excel in sort of integraion I will face for QM and later physics courses.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2014 #2

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

Any math methods book (ex. the one by Mary Boas) will probably cover integrals needed for physics courses. I'm curious, do you remember what the integrals were?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  4. Nov 12, 2014 #3
    I remember one, I wanted to do it by integration by parts and then I see its not doable that way.

integral ( r^2 e^(-r/a) sin(kr)) dr

I t must be pretty easy that I misses due to my ignorance

5. Nov 12, 2014 #4

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

Was that for a test? If so, that's a bit strange to not provide an integral table. You might do well to review integration material in a single variable calculus, I don't think math methods books will cover integration at that level. Websites like Brilliant.org have good calculus exercises, so you might check that out too.

6. Nov 12, 2014 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

do you know the relation between sin(x) and e^x? it might simplify this integral to know that since e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x),

that it follows that sin(x) = (1/2i)(e^ix - e^-ix), or some such. i.e. after using this that integral would be doable by integration by parts.

but don't feel bad about that integral, many of us would be troubled by it, and your idea was essentially correct.

7. Nov 12, 2014 #6

ZetaOfThree

Gold Member

Yeah, it would be pretty scary to see that integral on a physics test.

8. Nov 12, 2014 #7
    Yes that was in my 1 hour midterm . I thought the instructor was going to test our physics knowledge and not scare us with tricky integrals.
    anyway thanks for your suggestions. I will take a look at Boas .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted