1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on Applying to Grad School

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I am looking for a few good books that talk about the details of applying to a PhD program. Soem of the questions that I would like answered are: How does one select the schools? How do admissions work? How is one evaluated? How can one maximize chances of admission?

I've seen a few books praised on various forums, but they all seem a bit outdated (published before 2000). How big of a problem is that?

I'd appreciate any titles and your opinion on them. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2

t!m

I would highly recommend https://www.amazon.com/Getting-What-You-Came-Students/dp/0374524777". The first 9ish chapters are devoted to pre-grad school topics like choosing a school, choosing an advisor, applying, and financial aid. This book will remain useful in your years to come as it also talks about graduate school life, writing your thesis, and finding a job afterward.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook