Books on electroweak and strong interactions (& QED)

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book on the unified electroweak and strong interaction theories, with a focus on gauge theories, intermediate vector boson theory, gauge theory of weak interactions, spontaneous symmetry breaking, and the standard electroweak theory. The person is looking for a source with more insight and explicit examples and exercises, similar to Greiner's style in his book on Quantum Mechanics and symmetries. They mention two potential books, "Gauge Theory of Weak Interactions" by Greiner and Müller and "Introduction to Theory of Quantized Fields" by Bogoliubov and Shirkov, and ask for recommendations on personal favorite books on electroweak and strong interactions. They also express interest
JD_PM
Hi, I am looking for a book about the unified electroweak and strong interaction theories, dealing with the following:

• Gauge Theories.
  • Intermediate Vector Boson Theory.
  • Gauge Theory of Weak Interactions.
  • Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking.
  • The Standard Electroweak Theory.

I've basically quoted Mandl & Shaw chapters on the topic. I really like that book but I am looking for an extra source providing more insight and (if possible) more explicit examples and exercises (kind of Greiner's style in his book on Quantum Mechanics and symmetries). I've been looking for books and I've found two that look interesting

• Gauge Theory of Weak Interactions by Greiner and Müller.
  • Introduction to Theory of Quantized Fields by Bogoliubov and Shirkov.

Should I get a copy of them? (they are not in my library so your opinion will be much appreciated) What are your personal-favourite books on electroweak and strong interactions?

PS: I am also interested in books dealing mainly with QED so suggestions for such topic are also very welcomed.

Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
Bogoliubov and Shirkov is a great early QFT textbook, but I don't think it's what you are looking at. It's mostly on QED and doesn't cover the rest of the Standard Model. Here I'd suggest a more recent textbook like

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York (2014).

For a good more phenomenologically oriented review of the Standard Model, I'd suggest

O. Nachtmann, Elementary Particle Physics, Springer (1990)

perhaps complemented by more recent books on newer topics like neutrino oscillations and the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012.

Likes JD_PM

1. What are electroweak and strong interactions?

Electroweak and strong interactions are two of the four fundamental forces in the universe, along with gravity and the weak nuclear force. Electroweak interactions describe the interactions between electrically charged particles and the weak nuclear force, while strong interactions describe the interactions between particles with color charge (quarks) and the strong nuclear force.

2. What is QED?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, which is a quantum field theory that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles through the exchange of photons. It is a fundamental theory in particle physics and is considered one of the most successful and accurate theories in science.

3. Why are books on electroweak and strong interactions important?

Books on electroweak and strong interactions are important because they provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. These interactions are crucial in understanding the structure of matter and the universe as a whole.

4. Who should read books on electroweak and strong interactions?

Books on electroweak and strong interactions are primarily aimed at physicists, particularly those working in the field of particle physics. However, they can also be beneficial for students and researchers in related fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and cosmology.

5. What are some recommended books on electroweak and strong interactions?

Some recommended books on electroweak and strong interactions include "The Standard Model and Beyond" by Paul Langacker, "Gauge Theories in Particle Physics" by Ian J.R. Aitchison and Anthony J.G. Hey, and "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths. These books provide a solid foundation in the theoretical and experimental aspects of electroweak and strong interactions.