1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books suggested for physics beginners

1. Apr 7, 2012 #1
    Hello.
    I'm in 10th grade,State syllabus in India.
    The portions for physics are not in depth and not hard.
    I want to learn more myself.
    I'm good at maths.

Please suggest some books for a physics beginner like me.
    It is for self study.
    So please suggest some good books for a total beginner.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2012 #2
    I actually got these in India:

1) Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker
    2) Berkeley Physics Course, Vol. 1 - Mechanics by Kittel, Knight et al

I haven't started using the second book yet and will have a crack at it next year, when I have some more time on my hands and have done some more calculus. Both books cost less than 600 Indian rupees each, if I recall correctly.

The book "General Problems in Physics" by I.E Irodov has been thrown around quite a bit, especially by people participating in the physics Olympiads in India.

There is also the "MIT Introductory Physics Series" by A.P French and "Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow, the latter of which is used in the "honours" variant of freshman physics at the MIT.

4. Apr 7, 2012 #3
    If you're ready to study physics with calculus I suggest University Physics, by Young.
    Otherwise, get your hands on a calculus book, and learn that. don't waste your time with non-calculus based physics- it's not very useful.

5. Apr 7, 2012 #4
    Introduction to Mechanics - Kleppner
    I'd stay away from those 'all round' physics textbooks, rather than doing one subject well they do lots badly imo.

6. Apr 8, 2012 #5
    Thanks for these great options.
    I will catch to the bookstore after my exams are over.

Cheers!

7. Apr 8, 2012 #6
    This book. I didn't use this when I took intro mechanics but I think it would of been very tough and very rewarding. It's problems are challenging and insightful. It's like spivak for physics kind of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook