Books suggested for physics beginners

In summary, the individual is a 10th grade student in India looking for suggestions on physics books for self-study. They have been recommended books such as Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker, and Berkeley Physics Course, Vol. 1 - Mechanics by Kittel, Knight et al. Other options include "General Problems in Physics" by I.E Irodov, "MIT Introductory Physics Series" by A.P French, and "Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow. The individual has also been advised to learn calculus before delving into calculus-based physics. They have been warned to stay away from "all round" physics textbooks and are considering purchasing "Introduction to Mechanics" by Kle
benpaul
Hello.
I'm in 10th grade,State syllabus in India.
The portions for physics are not in depth and not hard.
I want to learn more myself.
I'm good at maths.

Please suggest some books for a physics beginner like me.
It is for self study.
So please suggest some good books for a total beginner.

Physics news on Phys.org
I actually got these in India:

1) Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker
2) Berkeley Physics Course, Vol. 1 - Mechanics by Kittel, Knight et al

I haven't started using the second book yet and will have a crack at it next year, when I have some more time on my hands and have done some more calculus. Both books cost less than 600 Indian rupees each, if I recall correctly.

The book "General Problems in Physics" by I.E Irodov has been thrown around quite a bit, especially by people participating in the physics Olympiads in India.

There is also the "MIT Introductory Physics Series" by A.P French and "Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow, the latter of which is used in the "honours" variant of freshman physics at the MIT.

If you're ready to study physics with calculus I suggest University Physics, by Young.
Otherwise, get your hands on a calculus book, and learn that. don't waste your time with non-calculus based physics- it's not very useful.

Introduction to Mechanics - Kleppner
I'd stay away from those 'all round' physics textbooks, rather than doing one subject well they do lots badly imo.

Thanks for these great options.
I will catch to the bookstore after my exams are over.

Cheers!

genericusrnme said:
Introduction to Mechanics - Kleppner
I'd stay away from those 'all round' physics textbooks, rather than doing one subject well they do lots badly imo.
This book. I didn't use this when I took intro mechanics but I think it would of been very tough and very rewarding. It's problems are challenging and insightful. It's like spivak for physics kind of.

FAQ: Books suggested for physics beginners

1. What are the best books for beginners to learn physics?

The best books for beginners to learn physics will depend on the individual's learning style, but some popular options include "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Introduction to Modern Physics" by Rich Bauer and James B. West.

2. Are there any books recommended specifically for self-study?

Yes, there are many books recommended specifically for self-study, such as "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Douglas C. Giancoli and "Understanding Physics" by Isaac Asimov. These books often have clear explanations and practice problems to help reinforce understanding.

3. Can you suggest any books that cover both classical and modern physics?

Yes, some books that cover both classical and modern physics include "The Theoretical Minimum: What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Raymond A. Serway and John W. Jewett.

4. Are there any books that focus on real-life applications of physics?

There are several books that focus on real-life applications of physics, such as "The Physics of Everyday Phenomena" by W. Thomas Griffith and Juliet Brosing and "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios. These books use relatable examples to help readers understand complex physics concepts.

5. Are there any online resources or ebooks available for learning physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and ebooks available for learning physics. Some popular options include "The Physics Classroom" website, the "OpenStax College Physics" ebook, and various Youtube channels such as "Khan Academy" and "Crash Course Physics." These resources often offer interactive learning experiences and can be accessed for free.