Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boomilever design help

1. Oct 6, 2010 #1
    I have to design a boomilever for a class i am in. I do not know the requirements yet. I have never built any thing like this before and have not taken calculus. Can any one help me find teh right design to do that will hold a sufficient amount of weight. There are 6 kids in my class and we all have to build one then see whos holds the most weight.

If you fwould rather just email tha is okay saxonwj@gmail.com

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2010 #2
    here is the requirements

Attached Files:

4. Oct 8, 2010 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Sax.
    With no specific insult toward your teacher, that is probably the singular most spectacularly useless spec sheet that I've ever seen.

5. Oct 8, 2010 #4
    I'm assuming boomilever is a portmanteau of boom and cantilever.

As this is homework, we can't really give you answers, just point you in the right direction. I've got a few questions/things for you to think about.

Can you do any materials testing?
    Do you get any credit for testing?
    Do you know how you can load a beam? (ie bending, compression, tension etc)
    Is there a standard attachement method to bolt this to the wall?
    The loading (I can't really read the sheet). Is there one location that it's tested from (7"-9?" from the wall) that you chose by putting a hole there. Or can it be tested at any point from 7"-9?"?

There are more questions I wanted to ask, but I can't remember them at the moment.

6. Oct 8, 2010 #5
    I believe we can not do any material testing. I do not know how to load a beam. I thik there may be a standard attachment method but am not sure we will talk about it today in classs. I believe it has to be tested at the very end, but it is our choce weather to make it a min of 7in or the max of 9in i do not know which is better or somewhere in the middle.

7. Oct 8, 2010 #6
    Have you come across tension and compression in class? Have you ever done a free body diagram?

I think the best way to go about this once I know what you know/don't know, is to talk about loading first and then talk about the material that you are going to use.

8. Oct 11, 2010 #7
    We have not goen over tension and pressure in the class and yes i will post my drawings up later tonight.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook