Designing a Boomilever for Class - Get Help Now

• Thread starter saxonwj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation is about designing a boomilever for a class project where the goal is to build a structure that can hold the most weight. The requirements for the project are unclear and the person speaking has not built anything like this before and has not taken calculus. They are seeking help in finding the right design and materials, and there are several questions and considerations that need to be addressed before starting the project. The person speaking will post their drawings later in the day.
saxonwj
I have to design a boomilever for a class i am in. I do not know the requirements yet. I have never built any thing like this before and have not taken calculus. Can anyone help me find teh right design to do that will hold a sufficient amount of weight. There are 6 kids in my class and we all have to build one then see whos holds the most weight.

If you fwould rather just email tha is okay saxonwj@gmail.com

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
here is the requirements

Attachments

• 10-07-2010 10;45;37PM.jpg
    10-07-2010 10;45;37PM.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 766
Welcome to PF, Sax.
With no specific insult toward your teacher, that is probably the singular most spectacularly useless spec sheet that I've ever seen.

I'm assuming boomilever is a portmanteau of boom and cantilever.

As this is homework, we can't really give you answers, just point you in the right direction. I've got a few questions/things for you to think about.

Can you do any materials testing?
Do you get any credit for testing?
Do you know how you can load a beam? (ie bending, compression, tension etc)
Is there a standard attachement method to bolt this to the wall?
The loading (I can't really read the sheet). Is there one location that it's tested from (7"-9?" from the wall) that you chose by putting a hole there. Or can it be tested at any point from 7"-9?"?There are more questions I wanted to ask, but I can't remember them at the moment.

I believe we can not do any material testing. I do not know how to load a beam. I thik there may be a standard attachment method but am not sure we will talk about it today in classs. I believe it has to be tested at the very end, but it is our choce weather to make it a min of 7in or the max of 9in i do not know which is better or somewhere in the middle.

Have you come across tension and compression in class? Have you ever done a free body diagram?

I think the best way to go about this once I know what you know/don't know, is to talk about loading first and then talk about the material that you are going to use.

We have not goen over tension and pressure in the class and yes i will post my drawings up later tonight.

1. What materials should I use to design a boomilever?

The most commonly used materials for a boomilever are balsa wood, glue, and string. You may also use other lightweight materials such as popsicle sticks, toothpicks, or dowels.

2. What are the key design elements to consider when building a boomilever?

The key design elements to consider are the length and thickness of the boomilever, the placement of the fulcrum, and the overall structure and stability of the design. It is also important to keep in mind the weight restrictions and load-bearing capacity of the boomilever.

3. How can I ensure that my boomilever is structurally sound?

To ensure that your boomilever is structurally sound, it is important to use strong and secure joints, evenly distribute the weight along the length of the boomilever, and test the stability and weight-bearing capacity of your design before the competition.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing a boomilever?

Common mistakes to avoid include using materials that are too heavy or weak, not properly securing joints and connections, and not considering the distribution of weight and load-bearing capacity of the boomilever. It is also important to carefully follow the rules and guidelines of the competition.

5. How can I get help with designing a boomilever for class?

You can get help from your teacher or classmates, do research online, or consult with a structural engineer or experienced builder. There are also many resources available, such as tutorials, videos, and forums, that can provide guidance and tips for designing a successful boomilever.