Borek's US Trip: Dreams of Visiting Landmarks & PFers

• News
  • Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary: Maine has beautiful coastal areas, modest mountains (compared to the west) and nice breweries. If you come around in July, there will be herbs and vegetables from the garden for fresh salsa. We can also visit the local micro-brewery and sample some ales and lagers and bring some back for cookouts. If you plan well (and he is not occupied in Japan) perhaps we could lure Astro up here, too. He's only about 6-7 hours away, and he's accrued more vacation time than...anyone.OK, so there are a few places you want to visit on this road trip. This sounds like a great opportunity! Do you have any other questions for me
Borek
Mentor
Gokul was the first to ask when we are going to US - the answer is we still don't know, as it depends on too many factors, Best moment would be the end on June/beginning of July, but we would need to synchronize Marzena's work (she works at school, so she can't leave outside of the school vacations), tickets, visas, and the trip to Poland of other people taking part in the operation. There is an old friend of my family living in Seattle and he wants to go to Poland to deal with some old obligations; that means we could stay at his place. But, we would love to make a trip through US, visiting landmarks and PFers :smile: - that means buying (and later selling) or renting a car, unfortunately, it would probably make the operation too expensive.

But the idea is too tempting to be ignored :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why you should do the road trip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs88_rXjJHk

And why you should make sure the road trip includes visiting me in Colorado Springs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XozdRY-ipbs

Last edited by a moderator:
I am excited for you! Hope everything works to your advantage.

Maybe you and Marzena could fly to Seattle, stay there for a while, then do a one-way rental car to come back to the East coast. Plan on stopping and filling up the tank every 300 miles or so. Even if you rent a fuel-efficient compact, you'll have to budget around $500 for gas, along with food and lodging. The US is very large in the E-W direction, and long stretches are pretty featureless, like the area between the Eastern Rockies and the Mississippi River. Not to say that there aren't interesting sights along the way, but highway driving (the most direct route) can be a bit tedious.

Yay! I hope it works out, you'll be right up the road from me! Yay :smile:!

Never mind the US, come to the UK.

Rent a car, you can drive east to west in around 6 hours (7 if you stop for lunch).

Go from multi-cultural London to what year is it Wales - your own personal journey back in time to the land before immigration (and some cases technology).

All whilst taking in the lovely sights of, umm, I'll get back to you on this one.

jarednjames said:
Rent a car, you can drive east to west in around 6 hours (7 if you stop for lunch).

I would kill myself and the unlucky Brit driving in the opposite direction after about 30 seconds.

Borek said:
I would kill myself and the unlucky Brit driving in the opposite direction after about 30 seconds.

Good effort.

It's motorway 90% of the way with steal / concrete separators.

Then again, you'd be on the wrong side from the start wouldn't you...

jarednjames said:
Good effort.

It's motorway 90% of the way with steal / concrete separators.

Then again, you'd be on the wrong side from the start wouldn't you...
Then, he would exit the highway to find some lunch and slaughter about 20-30 of your countrymen at the first roundabout.

turbo-1 said:
Then, he would exit the highway to find some lunch and slaughter about 20-30 of your countrymen at the first roundabout.

The majority of motorways have roundabouts at the exits. It could be a true disaster.

Next time Borek attempts to enter the UK he'll be flagged by MI5 for potentially being here to "slaughter about 20-30 of your countrymen" due to frustrations over out traffic control measures (aka, roundabouts).

"The Polish terrorist was led away by police." *Bloke in shiny green wig being bundled into police van*

I hope you enjoy your trip Borek.
And I concur with Turbo, much of the middle of this country is rather featureless.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I hope you enjoy your trip Borek.
And I concur with Turbo, much of the middle of this country is rather featureless.

Out of curiousity, how long does it take to drive?

(Something I'd love to do one day, drive across America.)

jarednjames said:
Out of curiousity, how long does it take to drive?

(Something I'd love to do one day, drive across America.)
It depends. Do you share driving with another and barrel across? If so, plan on 3 days so you can stop and refuel your vehicle and yourself. If you are a mere human and don't want to risk dying after falling asleep at the wheel, figure 5-6 days.

OK, other places to visit?

Good to hear :)

Borek said:
Maine has beautiful coastal areas, modest mountains (compared to the west) and nice breweries. If you come around in July, there will be herbs and vegetables from the garden for fresh salsa. We can also visit the local micro-brewery and sample some ales and lagers and bring some back for cookouts. If you plan well (and he is not occupied in Japan) perhaps we could lure Astro up here, too. He's only about 6-7 hours away, and he's accrued more vacation time than God.

Don't forget Mount Sunflower AKA Mountain of Doom, in Kansas.

http://www.bettingers.org/air/ks000.htm

Borek said:

DC of course! :biggrin:

Good luck. I hope your trip goes well.

Borek said:

What sort of things do you want to see - natural (*amazing*), cultural (don't laugh, we gots some culture!), historical (now stop that laughing!)...?

lisab said:
What sort of things do you want to see - natural (*amazing*), cultural (don't laugh, we gots some culture!), historical (now stop that laughing!)...?

We are mostly into nature, but have nothing against seeing other places if they are on the way.

Borek said:
We are mostly into nature, but have nothing against seeing other places if they are on the way.

Well you'd never regret seeing the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, or Yellowstone.

In my area, there's Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, the Olympic Mountains. The eastern part of the state is a geologist's playground. I'll post links later.

lisab said:
In my area, there's Mt St Helens

You mean - it was :wink:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Come to Chicago. You'll be able to meet at least a few PFers!

But you are west of Chicago, aren't you?

After seeing Fargo I am somehow attracted to the area around the city. Don't ask why.

Borek said:

If you are heading down the Pacific coastline from WA, Lake Tahoe (CA) isn't too far inland and has plenty to do outdoors at lake-level (6,200'), but many of the trails above 7,000' won't be available until at least June or July due to snow.

Borek said:
But you are west of Chicago, aren't you?

An hour north. Fargo isn't that close though. Upper Minnesota.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Fargo isn't that close though. Upper Minnesota.

You're going to get horse-whipped by North Dakotans for saying that! :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
An hour north. Fargo isn't that close though. Upper Minnesota.

My mistake, I though you are farther than that. But my knowledge about US geography is probably not much better than your knowledge of Polish voivodeships :tongue:

Anyway, should you come to Holland, why not (?), then I strongly advise visiting Brielle, which was liberated from the Spanian occupation on this day, in 1572 and it marks the turning point of the 80-years war as well as the establisment of the first independent republic.

There are lots of myths surrounding this heroic achievement. It seemed that the conquerors tricked the occupying forces. This is the reason to attribute the well known folklore of today to that occasion. However other sources dispute that.

Last edited:
Well... as much as I would love to go :cry:

and as much as it was lame...

you have been busted :devil:

busted.jpg

Aw. And we were getting a room all ready for you. :tongue:

[PLAIN]http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/white-trash-repairs-my-neighbors-treehouse.jpg

Aaaw :frown:...!

So this was a prima aprilis? :uhh:

jtbell said:
So this was a prima aprilis? :uhh:

Yes. You should all feel lucky, you will be spared my accent and you will not have to write instead of talking to me.

Borek said:
Well... as much as I would love to go :cry:

and as much as it was lame...

you have been busted :devil:

busted.jpg

You gave small hints in other threads. I think it was a clever setup, not lame.

<h2>1. What inspired Borek to plan a trip to the US?</h2><p>Borek has always been fascinated by American culture and landmarks. He grew up watching movies and TV shows set in the US and dreamed of one day visiting these iconic places himself.</p><h2>2. Which landmarks is Borek most excited to visit?</h2><p>Borek has a long list of landmarks he wants to visit, but some of the top ones include the Grand Canyon, Statue of Liberty, and Golden Gate Bridge. He also can't wait to meet some of his online friends from the PF community.</p><h2>3. How did Borek plan his trip?</h2><p>Borek spent months researching and planning his trip. He used travel websites and blogs to find the best deals on flights and accommodations. He also reached out to PFers in different cities to get recommendations on places to visit and stay.</p><h2>4. Will Borek be documenting his trip?</h2><p>Yes, Borek plans to document his trip through photos and videos. He wants to share his experiences with his friends and family back home, as well as the PF community. He also hopes to inspire others to plan their own dream trips.</p><h2>5. What is Borek most looking forward to during his US trip?</h2><p>Borek is most looking forward to experiencing the different cultures and cuisines of the US. He also can't wait to see the iconic landmarks in person and make lasting memories with his friends from the PF community.</p>

1. What inspired Borek to plan a trip to the US?

Borek has always been fascinated by American culture and landmarks. He grew up watching movies and TV shows set in the US and dreamed of one day visiting these iconic places himself.

2. Which landmarks is Borek most excited to visit?

Borek has a long list of landmarks he wants to visit, but some of the top ones include the Grand Canyon, Statue of Liberty, and Golden Gate Bridge. He also can't wait to meet some of his online friends from the PF community.

3. How did Borek plan his trip?

Borek spent months researching and planning his trip. He used travel websites and blogs to find the best deals on flights and accommodations. He also reached out to PFers in different cities to get recommendations on places to visit and stay.

4. Will Borek be documenting his trip?

Yes, Borek plans to document his trip through photos and videos. He wants to share his experiences with his friends and family back home, as well as the PF community. He also hopes to inspire others to plan their own dream trips.

5. What is Borek most looking forward to during his US trip?

Borek is most looking forward to experiencing the different cultures and cuisines of the US. He also can't wait to see the iconic landmarks in person and make lasting memories with his friends from the PF community.