1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Born approx.

1. Dec 26, 2009 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a non-relativistic scattering of a particle of mass m and charge e from a fixed distibution of charge [tex]\rho(r)[/tex]. Assume that the charge distribution is neutral, [tex]\int d^3r \rho(r) =0[/tex], it's spherically symmetric, and the second moment is defined as:
    [tex]A=\int d^3r r^2\rho(r)[/tex].
    Use the Born approximation to derive the differential cross section for the scattering of a particle of wave vector k.

2. Relevant equations
    Let [tex]q=2ksin(\theta/2)[/tex] and the amplitude of the differential cross section to be:
    [tex]f(\theta)=(-2m/(q\hbar^2))\int_{0}^{\infty} rV(r)sin(qr)dr[/tex]
    (for a spherically symmetric potential).
    N.B
    theta is the scattering angle.

3. The attempt at a solution
    To do the calculation all I need to know is what is the potential,
    now the constant A has magnitude of charge times displacement squared, which means eA/r^3 will give units of potetnial energy, but when I insert this I get that the integral doesnt converge, am I wrong here?
    If it were the first moment then the integral will converge (the known intgral of sin(x)/x on the etire real line).
    Any suggestions here?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2009 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook