Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Bosons at very high temperature

1. Jul 10, 2016 #1
    Will all particles be in excited state in boson condensate if temperature approach infinity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I believe you only have a bose-einstein condensate at very, very low temperatures. Beyond this the particles transition to another state.

4. Jul 11, 2016 #3
    Ok thanks. But what if temperature is below critical temperatute?? Will all particles will come to ground state?? I mean all particles!!

5. Jul 11, 2016 #4
    Suppose we have created bose einstein condensate. Now we increase the temperature approaching infinity. Will all particle reside in excited state?

6. Jul 11, 2016 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I really can't say. I would expect so, as it would seem to be a requirement that in order for the condensate to undergo a phase transition all the particles would need to be excited to other states. But I know very little about the details of bose-einstein condensates.

7. Jul 11, 2016 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your series of question is rather puzzling.

You seem to think that there is this various levels of energy within the BE condensate, very much like the energy levels in an atom. Can you tell me where you got such information from?

As the temperature of the condensate gets higher, there will be less number of particles that are in the BE state. At some point, if the temperature is high enough, there will be none. There are no "higher energy state" within the BE condensate.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted