Photon Collisions: Do They Bounce or Pass Through?

In summary: However, this interaction is much weaker than that of charged particles like electrons and protons. So, in summary, photons do not carry charge and therefore do not bounce off each other. However, they can interact with other particles, like neutrons, through virtual photon exchanges. Matter is not solid in the way we imagine and particles can pass through each other without interacting. The bouncing of a ball is a classical concept and does not apply to quantum interactions. Neutrons have a small scattering section due to strong interactions, not electromagnetic ones. Neutrinos can pass through matter without interacting due to their weak interactions.
ryanuser
Do photons bounce off after they hit each other or they just pass through one and another?

Physics news on Phys.org
ryanuser said:
Do photons bounce off after they hit each other or they just pass through one and another?

No, photons do not carry charge so cannot bounce off each other. However, the interaction of physical matter is modeled as exchanges of virtual photons but I do not think there is agreement whether this should be taken literally in any sense.

So neutrons have no charge, so they also don't hit each other?

ryanuser said:
They do not repel or bounce off each other.

Sorry I am just clarifying, so they move into each other then carry their path?
If yes, is it still matter when they move into each other like ghost.( as long as matter is an object where it gets bounced if it hits other particle).

ryanuser said:
Sorry I am just clarifying, so they move into each other then carry their path?
If yes, is it still matter when they move into each other like ghost.( as long as matter is an object where it gets bounced if it hits other particle).

Matter is not solid in the way you seem to imagine. Billions of neutrinos pass right through your body every day as they do not interact with physical matter and so you have never noticed. Does this mean you are a ghost?

Imagine we shoot a ball towards the ground with high power, it bounces back up. So if photons with high power hit each other they interact and bounce? How?

Ohhh so can you explain matter clearly for me please?

A question like this is too general to answer. If you have something specific you wish to know, people would respond with what the best current model and theory says.

ryanuser said:

Maui said:
They do not repel or bounce off each other.

Neutrons have a very small scattering section, don't they?

For every process/interaction, you have probabilities for it to happen. You shouldn't try to imagine things as the classical bouncing, which always occurs. Even in non-relativistic qm you have the tunneling effects, which tells you that something can pass through things without interacting with them. They are not ghosts, the particle just don't "feel" them.
The figure I showed above is a possible interaction between 2 photons, but it is suppressed being a 4th order interaction.

neutrons do scatter in nucleon nucleon scatterings. They don't scatter because of electromagnetic interactions (at least not in low energies where quarks don't "see" quarks) but they do due to other processes (like strong interactions).
Neutrinos are better to see that, since they can pass through the whole planet without interacting (because they interact only with weak interactions)

Thanks, this topic answered some of my questions.

DrChinese said:
Neutrons have a very small scattering section, don't they?

Yes, his example wasn't the best one to compare composite particles interactions when he talked about photons.

Maui said:
Yes, his example wasn't the best one to compare composite particles interactions when he talked about photons.

Thanks, I thought I remembered as much.

Neutrons can interact with photons because despite being neutral they do have a sizable magnetic dipole

1. What are photon collisions?

Photon collisions occur when two photons, or particles of light, interact with each other. This can happen when they come into contact or pass close enough to each other.

2. Do photons bounce off each other during collisions?

No, photons do not bounce off each other during collisions. Instead, they either pass through each other or interact briefly and then continue on their original paths.

3. Why do photons not bounce off each other?

Photons do not have an electric charge, which is what causes particles to repel or attract each other. Therefore, they do not experience the same type of interaction as charged particles do.

4. Can photon collisions produce new particles?

Yes, under certain conditions, photon collisions can produce new particles such as electron-positron pairs. This is known as pair production and is an important phenomenon in quantum physics.

5. How are photon collisions studied in scientific research?

Photon collisions are studied using high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). By colliding photons at extremely high speeds, scientists can observe the resulting interactions and learn more about the fundamental properties of particles and the laws of physics.