1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bouncing ball experiment

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    Hi guys - recently in college we have done an experiment where we drop a ball from 10 different heights, and recorded the bounce height. Obviously all the results were tabulated, and then a graph produced. It turns out that the graph is linear, and I have worked out y=mx+c, so am able to predict the bounce height with just the initial height.

I was just wondering if there is anything else I can explore from the results, other than just predicting the bounce height? Is there anything I can do that would test my calculus?

(I'm living in the UK, so when I say college I mean A-Levels)

Thanks!

P.S. Also I am wondering how this fits in with Newton's Laws. I'm guessing his Third Law has particular relevance here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2
    Bringing this from the older thread on General Physics:

How about the Potential and Kinetic energies (if you haven't done that already) of the ball at every bounce?

Edit: Perhaps you can also try to reason out simple stuff like why the bounce height keeps reducing (mathematically.) Now this is just off the hand, I haven't though about it fully myself; but I expect you can do it.

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You might also want to look up the concept of "Coefficient of Restitution".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook