Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bouncing ball experiment

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    Hi guys - recently in college we have done an experiment where we drop a ball from 10 different heights, and recorded the bounce height. Obviously all the results were tabulated, and then a graph produced. It turns out that the graph is linear, and I have worked out y=mx+c, so am able to predict the bounce height with just the initial height.

I was just wondering if there is anything else I can explore from the results, other than just predicting the bounce height? Is there anything I can do that would test my calculus?

(I'm living in the UK, so when I say college I mean A-Levels)

Thanks!

P.S. Also I am wondering how this fits in with Newton's Laws. I'm guessing his Third Law has particular relevance here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2
    Bringing this from the older thread on General Physics:

How about the Potential and Kinetic energies (if you haven't done that already) of the ball at every bounce?

Edit: Perhaps you can also try to reason out simple stuff like why the bounce height keeps reducing (mathematically.) Now this is just off the hand, I haven't though about it fully myself; but I expect you can do it.

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You might also want to look up the concept of "Coefficient of Restitution".

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook