What can we learn from a bouncing ball experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment conducted in college where a ball was dropped from different heights and the bounce height was recorded. The results were tabulated and a linear graph was produced. The person has also figured out an equation to predict the bounce height. They are wondering if there are other ways to explore the results, specifically testing their knowledge of calculus. They also mention the relevance of Newton's Third Law and suggest looking into potential and kinetic energies and the concept of coefficient of restitution.
iamBevan
Hi guys - recently in college we have done an experiment where we drop a ball from 10 different heights, and recorded the bounce height. Obviously all the results were tabulated, and then a graph produced. It turns out that the graph is linear, and I have worked out y=mx+c, so am able to predict the bounce height with just the initial height.

I was just wondering if there is anything else I can explore from the results, other than just predicting the bounce height? Is there anything I can do that would test my calculus?

(I'm living in the UK, so when I say college I mean A-Levels)

Thanks!

P.S. Also I am wondering how this fits in with Newton's Laws. I'm guessing his Third Law has particular relevance here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bringing this from the older thread on General Physics:

How about the Potential and Kinetic energies (if you haven't done that already) of the ball at every bounce?

Edit: Perhaps you can also try to reason out simple stuff like why the bounce height keeps reducing (mathematically.) Now this is just off the hand, I haven't though about it fully myself; but I expect you can do it.

You might also want to look up the concept of "Coefficient of Restitution".

1. What is the purpose of the bouncing ball experiment?

The purpose of the bouncing ball experiment is to investigate the relationship between the height from which a ball is dropped and the height it bounces back to, also known as its rebound height.

2. What materials are needed for the bouncing ball experiment?

The materials needed for the bouncing ball experiment include a ball, a ruler or measuring tape, a flat surface, and a timer or stopwatch.

3. How is the bouncing ball experiment conducted?

To conduct the bouncing ball experiment, the ball is dropped from a predetermined height and the rebound height is measured using a ruler or measuring tape. This process is repeated several times with different heights to gather data and then analyzed to determine any patterns or relationships.

4. What factors can affect the rebound height of a bouncing ball?

The rebound height of a bouncing ball can be affected by various factors such as the type of ball used, the surface it bounces on, the height from which it is dropped, air resistance, and the elasticity of the ball.

5. What can the results of the bouncing ball experiment tell us?

The results of the bouncing ball experiment can provide insights into the laws of physics, specifically the concept of energy conservation. They can also help us understand the behavior of objects in motion and how different factors can affect their movement.