Bound Charges Due to Polarization

You can use the formula for surface charge density to find the inner and outer surface charges by plugging in the respective values for s. This will give you the bound surface charge density at each surface.
azone

Homework Statement

We have a long cylindrical, dielectric shell in the z-axis with inner radius R1 and outer radius R2. The polarization is given by P=k/s^2 (in cylindrical coordinates, it is only in the shat direction, i.e. no zhat or phihat)

Homework Equations

Find the bound surface charge density and volume charge density.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the general formula for surface charge is sigma=P.normal and for volume charge it is ro=-divergence of P. But I'm wondering if things are slightly altered because it is a shell and not a solid cylinder. Or can I just use the formula and then have a limit for s?
For the volume charge I'm thinking I can just use the formula which will give me ro=k/s^2. But for the surface charge I was thinking of doing two different ones for s=R1 and s=R2 to find inner surface charge and outer surface charge.
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
azone said:
Or can I just use the formula and then have a limit for s?

What do you mean by a limit for s? Since the polarization is given as a function of s, you can find the volume charge density, which would also depend on s, from the divergence.

But for the surface charge I was thinking of doing two different ones for s=R1 and s=R2 to find inner surface charge and outer surface charge.
Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, that seems correct.

Last edited:

1. What are bound charges due to polarization?

Bound charges due to polarization refer to the separation of positive and negative charges within a material when it is placed in an electric field. This occurs due to the alignment of the material's molecules in the direction of the electric field.

2. How do bound charges differ from free charges?

Bound charges are not able to move freely throughout a material like free charges can. They are fixed in place and only experience a displacement when an external electric field is applied.

3. What causes bound charges to occur?

Bound charges are caused by the polarization of a material's molecules in response to an external electric field. Some materials, like dielectrics, have a greater tendency to become polarized and have a higher density of bound charges as a result.

4. How do bound charges affect the overall electric field?

Bound charges produce their own electric field that opposes the external field that caused them. This results in a decrease in the overall electric field strength within the material.

5. Can bound charges be created in all types of materials?

Yes, bound charges can be created in all materials, but the density and strength of the bound charges may vary depending on the material's properties. Conductors typically have a lower density of bound charges due to the mobility of their free charges, while insulators have a higher density of bound charges.