Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Box thing

1. Oct 3, 2004 #1

n0n

I dont know where I learned this originally, but I have never been able to solve it. (And I dont remeber what its called)

click here

All you got to do is draw one continuous line threw all the box lines once, I did an example so that you get what I mean. Can you solve it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2004 #2
    See this thread.

4. Oct 3, 2004 #3

n0n

aah, see its been discussed before. this puzzle has been around for while, I sappose. Does anyone know if there're other line puzzles that have the same outcome?

this isnt breaking any of the rules, but it's they only way to solve if any solution is possable Click here

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  5. Oct 3, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This puzzle's been solved about 250 years ago.

And the solution you posted does break a rule : " no going through intersections"

There is no solution on the plane or sphere...but solutions do exist for other surfaces. The torus is one example.

6. Oct 27, 2004 #5
    Done it. It was easy. I can't post the pic though, it won't let me. Someone tell me how to and i will show you how its done.

7. Oct 28, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure you're not going through a corner ? Or drawing the box on a torus ? It can been proven that this is impossible, so you must be making a mistake, or not following the rules.

To submit a picture, you can make a bmp, gif or jpeg picture (of size < 64x64 pixels), and use the manage attachments option to attach it.

8. Oct 29, 2004 #7
    Dang, i missed a side. And i was so proud too! :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?