Brachistochrone homework problem

In summary: If you use the parametric equations to solve for y, then you get y=-y(x) which is the equation for the cycloid.
twalker40
1. use the parametric equations of a cycloid ( x=a(t-sint), and y=a(1-cost) ) to show that y=y(x) is the solution of the differential equation for any parameter a. Find the relationship between the radius a in the parametric equations and the constant C in y(1+y`2)=C.

2. Solve the equation y(1+y`2)=C with the initial condition y(0)=0. Express rather x as the function of y. what is the interpretation of the constant C in terms of a cycloid.

I need help starting the first question. In #2, I am stuck at 1+y`2= C/y. i know your not supposed to subtract 1 to either side, so how am i supposed to isolate y` by itself?

Physics news on Phys.org

To start the first part just substitute the forms you are given for x and y into the equation. y'=dy/dx=(dy/dt)/(dx/dt).

Dick said:
To start the first part just substitute the forms you are given for x and y into the equation. y'=dy/dx=(dy/dt)/(dx/dt).

if i sub those in, i get 1-cost=1-cos(t-sint). I am stuck here :(

As for questions number 2, i got to x=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{2cu^{2}}{(1+u^{2})^{2}}du[/tex]. where do i go from here?
(with u^2 = y/(c-y) )

For part 1), no, you don't get that. Show your work. And I'm not dealing with the second part until you get the first.

ok, I am a bit confused here. Do u mean sub those parametric equations into y=y(x) or y(1+y`2)=C?

if its y=y(x), that's how i got 1-cost=1-cost(t-sint).
If its the latter, then dy/dx=sint/(1-cost).
then i plug it into the equation to get 1-cost(1+([tex]\frac{sint}{1-cost}[/tex])2)=C

-> (1-cost)(1+[tex]\frac{sin^{2}t}{(1-cost)^{2}}[/tex]) = C
-> multiplied out i get (1-cost) +[tex]\frac{sin^{2}t}{1-cost}[/tex] = C
-> [tex]\frac{1-2cost+cos^{2}t+sin^{2}t}{1-cost}[/tex] = C
-> [tex]\frac{2(1-cost)}{1-cost}[/tex] = C
-> 2 = C

how does C = 2 answer "show that y=y(x) is the solution of the differential equation for any parameter a"?

You missed an 'a'. I get 2a=C. That answers 1. For 2 if you have the substitution correct, then it looks like a u=tan(w) substitution.

FAQ: Brachistochrone homework problem

1. What is the Brachistochrone homework problem?

The Brachistochrone homework problem is a mathematical problem that asks for the shape of a curve between two points that minimizes the time taken for a particle to travel between them under the influence of gravity.

2. Who first posed the Brachistochrone homework problem?

The Brachistochrone homework problem was first posed by Johann Bernoulli in 1696 as a challenge to other mathematicians.

3. What is the solution to the Brachistochrone homework problem?

The solution to the Brachistochrone homework problem is a cycloid, a curve traced by a point on the circumference of a circle as it rolls along a straight line.

4. Why is the Brachistochrone homework problem significant?

The Brachistochrone homework problem is significant because it was one of the first problems to be solved using the calculus of variations, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the path that minimizes or maximizes a given quantity.

5. What real-life applications does the Brachistochrone homework problem have?

The Brachistochrone homework problem has applications in physics and engineering, such as in the design of roller coasters and the study of optimal flight paths for aircrafts.

Back