1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brachistochrone homework problem

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    1. use the parametric equations of a cycloid ( x=a(t-sint), and y=a(1-cost) ) to show that y=y(x) is the solution of the differential equation for any parameter a. Find the relationship between the radius a in the parametric equations and the constant C in y(1+y`2)=C.

2. Solve the equation y(1+y`2)=C with the initial condition y(0)=0. Express rather x as the function of y. what is the interpretation of the constant C in terms of a cycloid.

I need help starting the first question. In #2, im stuck at 1+y`2= C/y. i know your not supposed to subtract 1 to either side, so how am i supposed to isolate y` by itself?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Brachistochrone

To start the first part just substitute the forms you are given for x and y into the equation. y'=dy/dx=(dy/dt)/(dx/dt).

4. Dec 1, 2008 #3

if i sub those in, i get 1-cost=1-cos(t-sint). Im stuck here :(

As for questions number 2, i got to x=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{2cu^{2}}{(1+u^{2})^{2}}du[/tex]. where do i go from here?
    (with u^2 = y/(c-y) )

5. Dec 2, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For part 1), no, you don't get that. Show your work. And I'm not dealing with the second part until you get the first.

6. Dec 2, 2008 #5

ok, im a bit confused here. Do u mean sub those parametric equations into y=y(x) or y(1+y`2)=C?

if its y=y(x), thats how i got 1-cost=1-cost(t-sint).
    If its the latter, then dy/dx=sint/(1-cost).
    then i plug it into the equation to get 1-cost(1+([tex]\frac{sint}{1-cost}[/tex])2)=C

-> (1-cost)(1+[tex]\frac{sin^{2}t}{(1-cost)^{2}}[/tex]) = C
    -> multiplied out i get (1-cost) +[tex]\frac{sin^{2}t}{1-cost}[/tex] = C
    -> [tex]\frac{1-2cost+cos^{2}t+sin^{2}t}{1-cost}[/tex] = C
    -> [tex]\frac{2(1-cost)}{1-cost}[/tex] = C
    -> 2 = C

how does C = 2 answer "show that y=y(x) is the solution of the differential equation for any parameter a"?

7. Dec 2, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You missed an 'a'. I get 2a=C. That answers 1. For 2 if you have the substitution correct, then it looks like a u=tan(w) substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?