Calculate the rotation "theta" at O

In summary: A1In summary, the frame shown in the figure is statically indeterminate and requires additional methods, such as Castigliano's theorem, to solve for the unknown forces and moments. The equilibrium equations for this problem involve the equilibrium of forces in the x and y directions, but not moments. Internal moments near points A and B, known as point moments, can be found using the method of sections and can then be used to solve for the rotation at point O.
Cranky

Homework Statement

a frame is composed as it is shown in the figure, each of length L. bending stiffness of AO is EI, of OB is 3EI. Force P is acting in the middle of AO, i.e at L/2. the question is to calculate the rotation "theta" at O.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the problem is statically undetermined.
to calculate the rotation we have to use castigliano's teorem and take the partial derivative with the respect to the ficticious moment M0 at point O, putting the M0=0:
theta=d/dMo(complementary elastic energy) at M0=0.

in order to get W we have to have 2 beams A0 and OB: (by superposition principle)
W= W(ao)+W(ob)

W(ao)=L/2EI*I (M1^2 dx)
W(ob)=L/6EI *I (M2^2 dx)

where I= integral from 0 to L
M1 and M2 internal moments in beams AO and BO respectively.

I am stuck on equillibrium equations:
in X dir: Rax-Rbx=0
in Y dir: Ray+Rby-P=0
and then there should be moment equillibrium also:
p.A: Mo+PL/2+M1 (??)=0 (by connecting points A and B)?
p.B Mo-M2=0 (?)
is there an internal moment near points A and B?

I'm mixed up about the equillibrium equation.Will be greatful for any help and suggestions

Attachments

• problem.JPG
    problem.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 333
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand your confusion regarding the equilibrium equations and internal moments near points A and B. Let me try to clarify it for you.

Firstly, it is important to note that the frame shown in the figure is a statically indeterminate structure. This means that the number of unknown forces and moments is greater than the number of equilibrium equations (3 in this case). Therefore, we need to use additional methods, such as Castigliano's theorem, to solve for the unknowns.

Now, let's look at the equilibrium equations. The first two equations you have written are correct, representing the equilibrium of forces in the x and y directions. However, the third equation you have written is not necessary. In fact, we do not need to consider the equilibrium of moments in this problem because the frame is simply supported at points A and B, meaning there are no external moments acting at these points.

Moving on to the internal moments near points A and B, these are known as point moments and are caused by the applied force P at the midpoint of beam AO. In order to solve for these moments, we can use the method of sections. By taking a section through the frame at point A, we can find the internal moment at that point, which can then be used to solve for the rotation at O using Castigliano's theorem.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Scientist

I would like to first clarify that I am not able to provide a solution to this specific problem without further information or context. However, I can provide some general guidance and suggestions for approaching this type of problem.

Firstly, it is important to clearly define the problem and identify any assumptions or simplifications that are being made. This will help in understanding the problem and determining the appropriate equations and methods to use.

Based on the given information, it seems that this problem involves a frame composed of two beams (AO and OB) of equal length, with different bending stiffnesses (EI and 3EI respectively). A force (P) is acting in the middle of beam AO, and the goal is to calculate the rotation (theta) at point O.

One approach to solving this problem is to use the principle of virtual work, which states that the work done by external forces on a system is equal to the change in complementary elastic energy of the system. This can be expressed mathematically as: W = delta Wc, where W is the external work and Wc is the complementary elastic energy.

In this case, the external work (W) can be calculated by considering the work done by the applied force P on beam AO, and the work done by the internal moments (M1 and M2) on beams AO and OB respectively. The complementary elastic energy (Wc) can be calculated using the bending stiffnesses and the internal moments.

As you mentioned, Castigliano's theorem can also be used to calculate the rotation at point O. This theorem states that the partial derivative of the complementary elastic energy with respect to a fictitious moment at a specific point is equal to the rotation at that point. In this case, the fictitious moment (M0) can be placed at point O and the partial derivative can be taken to calculate the rotation theta.

In terms of equilibrium equations, it is important to consider both force and moment equilibrium. The force equilibrium equations can be used to determine the reaction forces (Rax, Ray, Rbx, Rby) at the supports, while the moment equilibrium equations can be used to determine the internal moments (M1 and M2).

To determine the internal moments, you can use the moment equilibrium equations at specific points along the beams. For example, at point A, the moment equilibrium equation can be written as: M1 + PL/2 = 0, where M1 is the internal moment in

What is a bracket beam problem?

A bracket beam problem is a type of engineering problem that involves calculating the stresses and loads on a structural beam that is supported by brackets or supports at each end.

What are the different types of bracket beam problems?

There are three main types of bracket beam problems: cantilever beams, simply supported beams, and overhanging beams. Each type has its own unique set of equations and considerations.

What factors affect the solution to a bracket beam problem?

The factors that affect the solution to a bracket beam problem include the material properties of the beam, the geometry of the beam, the type of support at each end, and the load or force applied to the beam.

How do I solve a bracket beam problem?

To solve a bracket beam problem, you will need to use equations and principles from engineering mechanics, specifically statics and strength of materials. You will also need to have a good understanding of the properties of different materials and how they behave under stress.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a bracket beam problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a bracket beam problem include using incorrect equations, neglecting certain factors such as the weight of the beam itself, and not considering all the forces acting on the beam. It is also important to double check all calculations and units to ensure accuracy.