I Bracket VS wavefunction notation in QM

olgerm

Gold Member
Since my intention is to understand bracket notation(and its relation to normal notation), I did not formulate my equations by using bracket notation, but I used normal convetional mathematical notations. I used as simple notation as I could and explained meaning of some symbols.

I used as simple notation as I could and explained meaning of some symbols.
And yet it's convoluted and unreadable.

olgerm

Gold Member
Main point is that for every possible arguments ##a_{arguments\ of\ wavefunction}## there is one basefunction that is 1 with these arguments and 0 with other arguments.

The terminology and notation you're using is not standard, nobody really understands what you're saying. Look at a typical QM or linear algebra textbook and use the notation and terminology that they use in there.

vanhees71

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Since my intention is to understand bracket notation(and its relation to normal notation), I did not formulate my equations by using bracket notation, but I used normal convetional mathematical notations. I used as simple notation as I could and explained meaning of some symbols.
Again to put it very clearly: You don't use anything, I've ever seen in the literature. It's unreadable. I don't even know, what you want to write!

You can write QT completely without bras and kets. E.g., Weinberg doesn't use the bra-ket notation at all. However his books are highly readable (and among the best newer textbooks I'm aware of).

olgerm

Gold Member
Which symbols you do not undersatand? I did not invent any original notation, but used mathematical normal notation. I really do not know how to express these relations using more ordinary notation.
If you really do not understand - can you describe me a example of basevectors. by writing
## \vec{e_{base}} [i ] = ... ##, where ## \vec{e_{base}} ##, is i'th basevector. Maybe I could reformulate my equations to be similar to yours.

Last edited: