1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bragg Scattering - Need help because it is hard for me.

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    I am really stuck on this problem. This entire section I have been teaching myself using the homework answers but I have no idea where to start. Thanks anyone.

A beam of thermal neutrons emerges from a nuclear reactor and is incident on a crystal as shown below. The beam is Bragg scattered from a crystal whose scattering planes are separated by 0.247nm. From the continuous energy spectrum of the beam we wish to select neutrons of energy 0.0105eV. Find the Bragg scattering angle that results in a scattered beam of this energy. Will other energies also be present in this scattered beam?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    d = 0.247 nm
    E of neurons 0.0105ev

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2dsin(tetha) = n(lamda)
    from here sin(tetha) comes.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

Calculate the wave-length of the neutron through the de Broglie-relation. Then use the Bragg condition to identify the angle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?