Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brand new way of working out quality of papers

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Someone here has worked out a way that applies to physics:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

Anyone wishing to try and apply it to maths? I think it will be an easy transition :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree that such a scale is needed in math, but I'm not a fan of this crackpot index. Somehow citing incorrect premises and making vaccuous statements is acceptable (wih the -5 point starting 'credit', there's flexibility for 1- and 2-point mistakes), but the other behaviors aren't. I can think of many noncrackpots who would get negative scores... Erdos frequently offered prize money for proofs and counterexamples, many mention (for various reasons) their schooling, a brief mention of the duration of one's study of the material is not beyond the pale of belief, and so on.

Combined with the fact that Baez's own index rates itself as more of a crackpot than a paper with a dozen logical inconsistencies and half a dozen otherwise false statements... :tongue2:

4. Nov 2, 2005 #3
    lol

That's a great site. We must use it for judging eljose's next topic.

5. Nov 2, 2005 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So the next time he has a post, we should all just post ratings without mentioning the source or reason?

6. Nov 2, 2005 #5
    No, mention the source and the reason.

7. Nov 3, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not new. I used it to grade one of the doren shadmi "papers". I stopped when he scored 120 points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?