A Dark Night's Illumination: Moonlight Peeking Through Clouds

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, on a dark night, the high clouds were covering the moon, but its light was still visible at an angle. The moon's light illuminated the lower clouds in one part of the sky. When the moon did make an appearance, it was very bright. The conversation also mentioned a possible moon dance and the desire to see pictures of this phenomenon.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
On a dark night, quite strange to see, high clouds were obviously masking the moon but its light was getting through at an angle to me in such a way as i could not see moon, but its ligh was illuminating the lower clouds just in one part of the sky.
When the moon does poke its head through the clouds it is very bright.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
On a dark night, quite strange to see, high clouds were obviously masking the moon but its light was getting through at an angle to me in such a way as i could not see moon, but its ligh was illuminating the lower clouds just in one part of the sky.
When the moon does poke its head through the clouds it is very bright.

Do you have any pictures? I love phenomena such as this.

LightbulbSun said:
Do you have any pictures? I love phenomena such as this.

Sorry i am at work, i admit i have never seen this before and it took some working out as to how the clouds were so bright, 10 mins later the moon was visible and very bright.

Sounds like a great night for a moon dance.

wolram said:
On a dark night, quite strange to see, high clouds were obviously masking the moon ...
Sounds like you were off to a great start, on a poem.. :smile:

Related to A Dark Night's Illumination: Moonlight Peeking Through Clouds

1. What is the phenomenon of moonlight peeking through clouds?

The phenomenon of moonlight peeking through clouds is when the light from the moon is able to pass through openings in the clouds, creating a beautiful visual effect.

2. What causes moonlight to peek through clouds?

Moonlight peeking through clouds is caused by the interaction between the moon's light and the water droplets or ice crystals present in the clouds. The light is refracted and scattered as it passes through the particles, creating the appearance of moonlight peeking through the clouds.

3. Is moonlight peeking through clouds a rare occurrence?

No, moonlight peeking through clouds is not a rare occurrence. It can happen on clear nights when there are scattered clouds present or during a full moon when there is more light to reflect off the clouds.

4. Can moonlight peeking through clouds affect our sleep patterns?

Yes, moonlight peeking through clouds can affect our sleep patterns. The light can disrupt our natural circadian rhythm and make it difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep. This is especially true for those who are sensitive to light while sleeping.

5. Are there any cultural or spiritual significance to moonlight peeking through clouds?

Moonlight peeking through clouds has been seen as a symbol of hope and beauty in various cultures. It is also associated with romanticism and has been the inspiration for many poems and artworks. In some spiritual beliefs, it is believed that moonlight peeking through clouds can bring positive energy and good luck.