Is the bright star I saw in the west sky Venus or another planet?

In summary, A bright star was observed in the west sky above the horizon in the city of London, Ontario, which is believed to be Venus due to its brightness and proximity to the setting sun. It is expected to continue its downward trajectory into the Western horizon and will eventually become the Morning Star and Evening Star on the same day.
blimkie.k
I observed a really bright star in the sky a few minutes ago its still there.

Its in the west sky low just a few degrees above the horizon.

I'm assuming its a planet because i live in the city of London, Ontario which is a pretty large city for Canada.

I'm also assuming its Venus because Venus is the brightest planet and the sun just set in that direction so it can't be Mars because its close to the sun.

Is this a correct assumption to make?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If it is REAL bright, you're looking at Venus, which is inexorably diving into the Western horizon every night. There is one day coming soon when Venus will be the Morning Star and the Evening Star on the same day, but I have misplaced the link.

1. What is a bright star observation?

A bright star observation is the act of observing and recording the position, brightness, and other characteristics of a specific star in the night sky. This can be done using various tools and techniques, such as telescopes and star charts.

2. Why are bright star observations important?

Bright star observations are important because they provide valuable information about the stars themselves, as well as our understanding of the universe. By studying the patterns and changes in the brightness of stars, scientists can gather data and make observations about their composition, distance, and other properties.

3. How do scientists conduct bright star observations?

Scientists conduct bright star observations using various tools and methods, depending on the specific objectives of their research. These can include using telescopes, spectroscopy, and photometry to measure the brightness and other characteristics of stars. They may also use computer software to analyze and interpret the data collected.

4. What can we learn from bright star observations?

Bright star observations can provide insights into the life cycle of stars, their composition, and their role in the formation and evolution of the universe. They can also help scientists identify patterns and trends, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the cosmos.

5. Can anyone conduct a bright star observation?

Yes, anyone with the right tools and knowledge can conduct a bright star observation. However, it does require some training and expertise in astronomy and using the necessary equipment. Amateur astronomers can also participate in citizen science projects, where they can contribute their observations to larger research efforts.