Broken Nose? Is it Normal or Can it Be Fixed?

In summary, the individual believes they have broken their nose multiple times and now has a bump on the top of their nose where the bone appears to be pushing up. They are unsure if they have actually broken their nose and are wondering if it is possible to fix it. They have had similar injuries in the past and have been told by a coworker that a broken cartilage may not cause pain. The individual is hesitant to see a doctor but is considering it if necessary.
mcknia07
Broken nose?

I think I have broke my nose several times, but I'm not sure. I have several lengthy stories as to why I think so, too, but now I have a bump on the top of my nose where it looks like the bone is pushing up or something. It used to hurt but this has been several years ago, so I feel no pain. I guess my question is how do I know if I broke it and if so, is there a way to fix it, or is that just my nose and it's totally normal?

Biology news on Phys.org

If the lump is in the middle of the nose (nasal bridge), then it's possible the cartilage broke and has calcified. I also have similar injuries from my teen years.

One time, a co-worker was explaining that I would feel no pain if the cartilage was broken, as might happen if I got a glancing blow to the nose. We were walking together when he spontaneously through a punch sideways in order to demonstrate such a blow. His fist hit my nose - and we proved him correct. :rolleyes: He apologize profusely while I stopped the bleeding and continued to work. The place where the cartilage detached didn't hurt, but the boney part behind it did.

Yep, that's where it's at. My mom was going to take me to the doctor to see if he might be able to break it to fix it, but I've been to scared to do it. I kinda figure if it doesn't hurt, then I'll be ok, 'til I think I really need something done.

1. What causes a broken nose?

A broken nose, also known as a nasal fracture, is usually caused by a blunt force trauma to the nose, such as a sports injury, car accident, or physical altercation. The impact can cause the nasal bones to break or shift out of place.

2. How can I tell if my nose is broken?

The most common signs of a broken nose include swelling, bruising, tenderness, and difficulty breathing through the nose. Your nose may also appear crooked or misshapen. It is important to seek medical attention for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

3. Is a broken nose considered a serious injury?

While a broken nose may not be life-threatening, it can cause significant discomfort and affect your quality of life. It can also lead to more serious complications, such as difficulty breathing or chronic sinus problems. It is important to seek medical treatment to prevent further complications.

4. Can a broken nose be fixed without surgery?

In some cases, a broken nose can be treated without surgery. If the break is minor and the bones are still aligned, your doctor may be able to manipulate the bones back into place. However, if the break is severe or if the bones are not aligned, surgery may be necessary to correct the fracture.

5. How long does it take for a broken nose to heal?

The healing time for a broken nose can vary depending on the severity of the fracture and the type of treatment. In general, it can take 3-6 weeks for the bones to heal and for the swelling to subside. However, it may take several months for the nose to fully heal and for the shape to return to normal.