How Can I Solve This Complex Problem Involving Brownian Motion Variables?

• Thread starter boliobolo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the solution for E[B(u)B(u+v)B(u+v+w)B(u+v+w+x)], for 0<u<u+v<u+v+w<u+v+w+x is 3u^2+3uv+uw, with no x in the answer. This is obtained by applying conditional expectations and properties of Brownian motion, and noting that for any term with a variable to the first power, the expectation will be 0.
boliobolo
can someone show me the solution for E[B(u)B(u+v)B(u+v+w)B(u+v+w+x)], for 0<u<u+v<u+v+w<u+v+w+x .the answer is 3u^2+3uv+uw

Physics news on Phys.org
It dosn't look right. There is no x in the answer.

it is the answer. with no x

I am not familiar with your notation. What is the definition of B(u)?

The solution is presumably judicious applications of conditional expectations and properties of Brownian motion. It's certainly worth having a go yourself and if you don't mind me asking how far have you got? As a (rather unhelpful) hint your first move is the reason x doesn't turn up in the solution.

Sorry I'm late - finally understood the notation. To refresh, Brownian motion variables are normally distributed with mean 0, variance ~ time, and independent increments.

For the problem stated: B(u) = U, B(u+v) = U + V, B(u+v+w) = U + V + W, and B(u+v+w+x) = U + V + W + X, where U, V, W, X are independent normally distributed random variables with mean 0 and variances u, v, w, x.

The question is then E(U(U+V)(U+V+W)(U+V+W+X)). To evaluate this, note that for any term in the expanded polynomial with any of the variables to the first power, the expectation (E) will be 0.
So we are then left with E(U4 + 3U2V2 + U2W2) = 3u2 + 3uv + uw.

Last edited:

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is the random movement of particles in a fluid, caused by collisions with other particles in the fluid. It was first observed by the botanist Robert Brown in the early 19th century.

2. How does Brownian motion occur?

Brownian motion occurs due to the random thermal motion of particles in a fluid. As these particles move and collide with each other, they cause other particles to move in a random pattern.

3. What is the significance of Brownian motion in science?

Brownian motion is important in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It provides evidence for the existence of atoms and molecules, and is used to study diffusion and other processes in fluids.

4. How is Brownian motion related to the concept of entropy?

Brownian motion is closely related to the concept of entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The random movement of particles in Brownian motion increases the entropy of a system.

5. Can Brownian motion be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Brownian motion can be observed in many everyday phenomena. For example, the random movement of particles in a cup of tea or coffee is a result of Brownian motion. It is also seen in the movement of dust particles in the air or the diffusion of perfume in a room.