Can I Pursue a Masters in Physics with a BSc in Electrical Engineering?

In summary, it is possible to pursue a masters degree in physics if you have an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering from a school that awards a Bachelor of Applied Science.
Philmac
I am currently working on an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, but I think that for my graduate studies I would like to pursue a masters degree in Physics. Is this possible? My school (University of Waterloo) awards a Bachelor of Applied Science to its engineering graduates, rather than a BEng, just in case that matters.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that in my university it is possible to go the other way round. To do a major in physics at the bachelors level and then do an extended (by one year) masters in any discipline of engineering.

I'd expect a masters degree in physics to take slightly longer than usual (you'll probably have to make up a few of the upper division undergrad courses that you didn't need for EE), but it should be possible, depending on where you are planning on applying. (I'd expect not to get very far with the top tier schools, but *someone* should let you in.)

Philmac: well, you should ask yourself if it's purely for your interests or if you can see any added impact on your career.

I would say that any eng-discipline at whatever level is really good. I would also say that any physicsdegree on whatever level is also good, but you need to either highly specialize in some kind of marketable physics-knowledge to get into a job and industry.

I sense a underlying question " 'ello gents, could I get a highpaying job with dis 'ere degree of EE and some physics? plox halp."

Yes, you can do almost anything with the mathematics knowledge, with your engineering ways to tackle problems and most certainly by having the insight of physics.

If you want a good and specific answer, you must ask a good and specific question. I hope it helped a bit anyways.

After I saw a guy get his Bachelors in English lit and then get his Masters in Math, I'd have to say most anything is possible. Where there's a will, there's a way, right?

kodiakghost said:
After I saw a guy get his Bachelors in English lit and then get his Masters in Math, I'd have to say most anything is possible. Where there's a will, there's a way, right?

Sorry to be off the subject but, how long did it take him to graduate then?

Philmac said:
I am currently working on an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, but I think that for my graduate studies I would like to pursue a masters degree in Physics. Is this possible? My school (University of Waterloo) awards a Bachelor of Applied Science to its engineering graduates, rather than a BEng, just in case that matters.

I'm a third year student at the University of Waterloo in physics and can tell you that as long as your grades are fine you'll have no problem getting accepted. You may be lacking in some coursework areas though... depends on what you're doing.

In fact I know an engineer doing his PhD in physics in the low temp lab.

I'd be more worried for folks like me who will try and get into the EE grad program at UW with a BSc in physics!

1. What is the difference between a BSc in EE and an MSc in Phys?

A BSc in EE (Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering) is an undergraduate degree that focuses on the principles and applications of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. An MSc in Phys (Master of Science in Physics) is a graduate degree that delves deeper into the study of the fundamental laws and principles of matter, energy, and their interactions.

2. What career opportunities are available with a BSc in EE and an MSc in Phys?

Graduates with a BSc in EE can pursue careers in various industries, such as telecommunications, power generation, and electronics manufacturing. With an MSc in Phys, one can work in research and development, teaching, or as a physicist in industries such as aerospace, defense, and healthcare.

3. Can I pursue a BSc in EE and an MSc in Phys simultaneously?

It is not possible to pursue both degrees simultaneously as they require different levels of education and typically have different course requirements. However, some universities may offer a joint degree program where students can earn both degrees in a shorter amount of time.

4. What skills are important for success in a BSc in EE and an MSc in Phys?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for both degrees, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. A good understanding of physics and an aptitude for technology and engineering are also important for success in these fields.

5. Can I pursue a career in research with a BSc in EE and an MSc in Phys?

Yes, graduates with a BSc in EE and an MSc in Phys can pursue a career in research, particularly in areas where the fields of electrical engineering and physics overlap, such as nanotechnology, renewable energy, and quantum computing. However, a PhD in a specific field of study may be required for more advanced research positions.