Build an AM Transmitter with RLC Circuit

• Thread starter learypost
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transmitter
In summary, there are two ways to make a simple AM transmitter using a crystal oscillator or a simple RLC circuit. However, the circuit in the provided link may produce distorted sound due to a mismatch on the transformer. Additionally, the circuit provided does not have any active components and may not oscillate in its current state.
learypost
I have read that you can make a very simple AM transmitter using only a crystal oscillator like the one described here: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Elec_p024.shtml" I also read that you can make the equivalent of a crystal oscillator using a simple RLC circuit. Does anyone know if the attached schematic will work? I also read that the frequency of the AM wave will be (LCo)-1/2 as long as C1 >> Co and R < 100 ohms. Does this sound right?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 444
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The circuit in your link does work, but it gives distorted sound, apparently. This is due to the severe mismatch on the transformer. This circuit is brought here occasionally with the comment that it either doesn't work or is distorted.

Crystal oscillators usually use a 5 volt supply, so giving them 6 volts may damage them. This would depend on the resistance of the transformer secondary winding.

The circuit you gave has no active components unless you have something at the port marked "input" that might oscillate. Active components are transistors, FETs Integrated ciruits etc.

As it stands, no, it won't oscillate.

Related to Build an AM Transmitter with RLC Circuit

1. How does an RLC circuit work in an AM transmitter?

An RLC circuit is made up of three components: a resistor, an inductor, and a capacitor. In an AM transmitter, the RLC circuit is used to modulate the radio waves with the audio signal. The resistor controls the amount of current flowing through the circuit, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. Together, these components create a stable oscillation that is used to carry the audio signal.

2. What materials do I need to build an AM transmitter with an RLC circuit?

To build an AM transmitter with an RLC circuit, you will need a resistor, an inductor, a capacitor, a power source, an antenna, and a frequency modulator. You will also need basic soldering tools, a breadboard, and wires to connect the components.

3. Can I adjust the frequency of the AM transmitter with the RLC circuit?

Yes, you can adjust the frequency of the AM transmitter by changing the values of the inductor and capacitor in the RLC circuit. The frequency will also be affected by the type of power source and the length and placement of the antenna.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building an AM transmitter with an RLC circuit?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building an AM transmitter with an RLC circuit. Make sure to use proper insulation and grounding techniques to avoid accidents. It is also important to follow the instructions carefully and use caution when working with electricity.

5. Can I use an RLC circuit to build other types of transmitters?

Yes, an RLC circuit can be used to build other types of transmitters, such as FM transmitters. However, the components and circuit design may vary depending on the type of transmitter you are trying to build. It is important to research and understand the specifications and requirements for the specific type of transmitter you are interested in building.