Building a DC to DC voltage regulator

In summary, the person is requesting assistance with regulating 12 volts DC from a car battery to 1.24 volts DC, while still being able to draw 12-15 amps and adjust the voltage. They are looking for ideas and components to achieve this and have been recommended a 20A buck regulator chip and application information from National Semiconductor.
dancingbear
Could anybody please assist me.

I need to regulate 12 volts dc from a car battery down to 1.24 volts dc yet I still need to be able to draw 12 - 15 amps. Ideally I would like to be able to adjust the voltage. Does anybody have any ideas how I will be able to achieve this & if so, what components will I need?

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
dancingbear said:
Could anybody please assist me.

I need to regulate 12 volts dc from a car battery down to 1.24 volts dc yet I still need to be able to draw 12 - 15 amps. Ideally I would like to be able to adjust the voltage. Does anybody have any ideas how I will be able to achieve this & if so, what components will I need?

Thanks

Here's a 20A buck regulator chip and application info from National Semiconductor:

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM2746.html

Last edited by a moderator:
for reaching out for assistance with building a DC to DC voltage regulator. This is a common task in the field of electronics and there are several ways to achieve this goal. One approach is to use a buck converter, which is a type of switching power supply that can efficiently step down voltage while maintaining a high current output. You will need to select a buck converter that can handle the desired input and output voltage and current levels. Additionally, you may want to consider using a variable resistor or potentiometer to adjust the output voltage. Other components that may be needed include capacitors, inductors, and diodes.

It is important to carefully select and test all components to ensure they can handle the desired voltage and current levels and operate within their specified parameters. It may also be helpful to consult with a knowledgeable colleague or reference materials for guidance on specific component selection and circuit design.

Overall, building a DC to DC voltage regulator can be a challenging but rewarding project. With careful planning and proper component selection, you should be able to achieve your desired output voltage and current levels. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a DC to DC voltage regulator?

A DC to DC voltage regulator is an electronic circuit that converts a higher input voltage to a lower output voltage. It is commonly used to provide a stable power supply for electronic devices.

2. Why is a DC to DC voltage regulator necessary?

Electronic devices often require a specific voltage to function properly. A DC to DC voltage regulator ensures that the output voltage remains constant even if the input voltage fluctuates, thus protecting the device from damage.

3. How does a DC to DC voltage regulator work?

A DC to DC voltage regulator uses a combination of electronic components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors, to regulate the input voltage to a desired output voltage. This is achieved by controlling the flow of current through the circuit.

4. What are the different types of DC to DC voltage regulators?

There are three main types of DC to DC voltage regulators: linear regulators, switch-mode regulators, and switching regulators. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

5. What factors should be considered when building a DC to DC voltage regulator?

When building a DC to DC voltage regulator, factors such as the input and output voltage levels, maximum current, efficiency, and cost should be taken into consideration. The choice of components, circuit design, and heat dissipation should also be carefully evaluated.