Building a Laser? Questions, Resources & Cost

In summary: It will probably take around a year to build a working basic laser. It will probably cost around $200-$500.
guitarphysics
Hi, I wanted to ask some questions about lasers.
I'm pretty bored with school and want to work on a project for a while. I though of maybe trying to build a laser, mostly because it's really awesome, it sounds like a project that would be challenging but also teach me a lot, and it's sort of connected with what I'm learning now (EM). I just read some stuff online for the past half hour or so, and I found a site that seems pretty helpful: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasercon.htm
I have no idea what type of laser to build (CO2, NeHe, Argon, etc.), mainly because I don't know much about lasers yet, so I don't know the differences. I'm very hard working, have decent resources (my grandfather and uncle both work at a good university, so I can probably get some stuff and guidance from there), and have a lot of free time. So, should I go for it?
Also:
Does anyone know of other sites (or maybe books) with info on lasers?
How long do you think it will take?
How much (approx) will it cost?

Thanks very much

PS. About a year ago, on one of my first posts, when I was more inexperienced and ignorant, I asked about building a particle accelerator. Looking back, I realize that it was pretty ridiculous- hopefully this post isn't a repeat of that :).

Science news on Phys.org
Hi
Lasers...
You might find this interesting about corn syrup.
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~scidemos/LightOptics/SyrupTube/SyrupTube.html

Interesting, I want you to know that people receive PhD for building a proper working laser.
To build a working basic laser may not be possible at home, however you can get laser diodes from the market and do some little electronics to get a decent laser, the advantage is that you need not bother about the cavity, pumping mechanism, active medium etc, all you need to do is to provide an appropriate electronic driver, calculate the resistance required based on your power supply, you will need a regulated power supply, If you look up laser diode specifications you will get a better idea! Anyway ALL THE BEST, Keep posting the progress!

I work with high power lasers, its my fascination

I'm with sugeet on this one. It would be practically impossible to build a laser from scratch. Better to buy a laser diode and use some basic electronics to make it work. But stay safe. Make sure you use only a low power laser, otherwise you could seriously injure yourself, or worse, someone else.

Hello there,

Building a laser can definitely be a challenging and rewarding project, but it's important to understand that it requires a significant amount of knowledge and resources. I would first recommend doing some more research on the different types of lasers and their applications to determine which one would be the best fit for your project. The website you found (http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasercon.htm) is a good resource, but I also suggest checking out books or even reaching out to a professor or expert in the field for guidance.

In terms of resources, you mentioned that you have access to a university and family members who work there. That's great, as you may be able to get some guidance and potentially access to equipment and materials. However, keep in mind that building a laser will require specialized equipment and parts, so you may need to budget for purchasing them. The cost will vary depending on the type of laser and its complexity, so it's difficult to give an estimate without knowing more about your specific project.

As for the time it will take, that will also depend on your level of knowledge and experience, as well as the type of laser you choose to build. It could take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to complete the project.

Overall, building a laser can be a great learning experience, but it's important to approach it with caution and do thorough research before diving in. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a laser and how does it work?

A laser is a device that produces a highly concentrated beam of light. It works by stimulating a material, such as a crystal or gas, with energy to produce photons. These photons are then reflected between two mirrors, causing them to become more and more concentrated until they are released as a powerful beam of light.

2. What materials are needed to build a laser?

The materials needed to build a laser vary depending on the type of laser you want to build. Generally, you will need a power source, a laser medium (such as a crystal or gas), mirrors, lenses, and other optical components. You may also need a cooling system and safety equipment.

3. What resources are available for building a laser?

There are many resources available for building a laser, both online and in print. You can find step-by-step guides, tutorials, and videos on websites such as Instructables and YouTube. There are also books and manuals available on laser construction and operation.

4. How much does it cost to build a laser?

The cost of building a laser can vary greatly depending on the type, size, and complexity of the laser. Simple DIY lasers can be built for under $100, while more advanced and powerful lasers can cost several thousand dollars. It is important to factor in the cost of materials, tools, and safety equipment when budgeting for a laser project.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when building a laser?

Building a laser can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses, when working with lasers. You should also follow safety guidelines for handling electrical components and high-powered lasers. Consulting with an experienced laser builder or seeking professional help is recommended for beginners.