Relation of laser pulse length and the Output Coupler trasmissivity

In summary: The gain bandwidth is usually determined by the medium and its temperature, and so the resonator is the only variable left that we can change to alter pulse duration.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the output coupler transmissivity and pulse length in laser systems, and the search for a formal expression for the relation between pulse length and cavity length in pulsed laser systems. The discussion also touches on the importance of bandwidth in determining pulse duration and the role of the resonator in modulating the system with pulses.
BPHH85
Dear all,

I'm within my Ph.D. studies in laser engineering and most of the details are rather new to me. Working on short pulse systems, my advisor told me some times about the relation of the output coupler transmissivity and the outcoupled pulse length, but more as a rule of thumb. According to this, the higher the transmissivity of the OC the shorter is the pulse (until a lower boundary). Some similar relation I'm searching a formal expression for is about pulse length vs. cavity length. This should be vaild for pulsed laser systems utilizing the principles of q-switching as well as gain-switching. Unfortunately this is more based on experiances then on formal relations. I did some literature researches on this but had no luck yet. Does anyone know a formal discription about this two relations? The most important for me is the first one between pulse length and OC.

Best regards

PS: I'm not sure if this is the right sub forum for my thread. Please feel free to move it if nessecary.
PPS: Merry Christmas to all

Science news on Phys.org
Hi. Welcome tp PF.
I would imagine that it could be to do with the bandwidth of the laser. The Power taken by the OC would affect the Q of the laser and this will affect the pulse length.
A bandwidth of Δf would imply a possible pulse width in the order of 1/Δf with oscillators in general - if you are modulating the oscillator itself. That wouldn't apply to 'downstream' modulation of a high accuracy sinusoid as the modulation system itself would add sidebands.

Thank you for your reply

sophiecentaur said:
Hi. Welcome tp PF.
I would imagine that it could be to do with the bandwidth of the laser. The Power taken by the OC would affect the Q of the laser and this will affect the pulse length.
A bandwidth of Δf would imply a possible pulse width in the order of 1/Δf with oscillators in general - if you are modulating the oscillator itself. That wouldn't apply to 'downstream' modulation of a high accuracy sinusoid as the modulation system itself would add sidebands.

What bandwidth of the laser do you mean especially? Because the gain bandwidth is relatively fixed and may be indipendent from the OC mirror as well as the longitudinal mode bandwidth, that should in first order just depend on the cavity length.

Nevertheless, bandwidth may be still a good point. A laser resonator is based on the model of the Fabry-Perot interferometer. For high reflectivity mirrors, the finesse and thus the transmission bandwidth is small. As pulsewidth t ~ ##1/\Delta f##, for short pulses the bandwidth needs to be high. But if the transmission bandwidth of the resonator is small, the spectrum of the laser pulse may be truncated and so the pulse has now a smaller spectral bandwidth and thus has to be broader in time. But this is just a guess and I'm not sure if this is the way these models are working.

BPHH85 said:
What bandwidth of the laser do you mean especially?
I was referring to how fast you could turn it on and off. My comment was a general one about all oscillators and I guess it would have to apply to a laser cavity as much as anything else. The details escape me but we usually find that these sort of fundamentals apply all over the place. It would depend on how the pulses are formed . There are a number of laser aficionados on PF. I expect one of them will pick up on the thread title before too long.
Perhaps I should rattle the cage of @Andy Resnick and see if he takes the bait. :smile:

The topic is still important to me. So any help is welcome.

BPHH85 said:
The topic is still important to me. So any help is welcome.
There are several ways of looking at this problem. For a resonator which is many wavelengths long, you will notice that a small change in frequency causes a large change in phase. The phase change is multiplied as a result of the resonator length, compared to a half wave long resonator. If, for instance, we use the resonator in the feedback path of an oscillator, the frequency of oscillation will be when the phase shift around the loop is n x 360 degrees. So if we try to move frequency a little, it is the phase shift generated by the resonator which pulls the oscillator back on frequency. If phase changes rapidly, frequency is held closer. A resonator with a higher Q-factor gives a more rapid phase shift when frequency is altered, so a long resonator exhibits a higher Q.
High Q is usually very desirable, but if we want to modulate the system with a pulse, it will prolong the build-up and decay of the pulse. As BPHH85 has mentioned, pulse duration is dictated by bandwidth, so a brief pulse requires wider bandwidth and a lower Q. Hence, a long resonator is a disadvantage in this case.
Alternatively, we can say that if the pulse is shorter than the resonator, it is going to be difficult to turn it off and on fast enough whilst still maintaining laser oscillation.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. How does the laser pulse length affect the output coupler transmissivity?

The laser pulse length and output coupler transmissivity are inversely related. This means that as the pulse length increases, the transmissivity decreases, and vice versa. This is because a longer laser pulse will interact with the output coupler for a longer period of time, leading to more absorption and less transmission.

2. Is there an optimal pulse length for maximum output coupler transmissivity?

Yes, there is an optimal pulse length for maximum output coupler transmissivity. This can vary depending on the specific laser and output coupler used, but generally, a shorter pulse length will result in higher transmissivity. However, if the pulse is too short, the laser may not have enough time to fully interact with the output coupler, leading to reduced efficiency.

3. How does the output coupler transmissivity affect the laser beam quality?

The output coupler transmissivity plays a crucial role in determining the laser beam quality. A higher transmissivity means that more of the laser energy is transmitted through the output coupler, resulting in a higher quality beam with a narrower beam divergence. On the other hand, a lower transmissivity can lead to a lower beam quality and a broader beam divergence.

4. Can the output coupler transmissivity be adjusted to control the laser pulse length?

Yes, the output coupler transmissivity can be adjusted to control the laser pulse length. By changing the transmissivity, the amount of energy that is transmitted through the output coupler can be altered, resulting in a shorter or longer pulse length. This can be useful for specific applications that require a certain pulse length.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the relation between laser pulse length and output coupler transmissivity?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the relation between laser pulse length and output coupler transmissivity. These include the laser wavelength, the type and material of the output coupler, and the laser cavity design. These factors can influence the absorption and scattering of the laser energy by the output coupler, and therefore affect the overall transmissivity and pulse length.