Building Precise Machine in Home

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a precise machine at home and the necessary tools and skills to do so. The suggestion is made to take a machine shop class at a local community college, as precision machining requires knowledge and technique. The conversation also touches on the importance of learning from others and the difference in understanding of precision. It is acknowledged that building a product with the same level of precision as commercial manufacturers may not be feasible, but the focus is on learning the fundamental techniques.
LightNg
Hi,
I am interested in building precise machine in home. I don't have a clear idea of what the machine looks like yet. But it involves high precision to do calculation.

Is it possible to build such machine myself in home? What tool do I need to use?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would suggest seeing if your local community college offers a machine shop class.
Precision machining has some skill involved. Best not try to reinvent the wheel.
Learning how others do things will go a long way towards success. Precision also means different things to different people.

OK. I mean precision as in precision engineering. The kind of precision that is required in building the finished electronic product like handphone and laptop.
Those manufacturers have sophisticated technology and machinery to build the product.
I know it is impossible to grasp everything about the technology and the process.
What I am interested in is the fundamental technique to achieve that kind of precision.

1. What tools are needed to build a precise machine at home?

Building a precise machine at home requires a variety of tools such as a drill, a saw, a level, measuring tape, and precision tools such as calipers and micrometers. It is important to have the right tools for accurate measurements and precise cuts.

2. Do I need any special skills or knowledge to build a precise machine at home?

While having some basic knowledge of mechanics and engineering can be helpful, it is not necessary to have special skills or knowledge to build a precise machine at home. With the right tools, materials, and instructions, anyone can build a precise machine at home.

3. What are the most common mistakes to avoid when building a precise machine at home?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building a precise machine at home include not measuring accurately, using incorrect tools, and not following instructions carefully. It is also important to double-check all measurements and ensure all parts are aligned properly before finalizing the machine.

4. Can I build a precise machine on a budget?

Yes, it is possible to build a precise machine at home on a budget. Some ways to save money include using recycled materials, purchasing tools and parts on sale, and researching affordable alternatives for expensive components. It may take more time and effort, but it is possible to build a precise machine without breaking the bank.

5. Are there any safety considerations when building a precise machine at home?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when building a precise machine at home. It is important to wear protective gear such as goggles and gloves, and use caution when handling sharp tools and materials. It is also recommended to read all safety instructions and consult a professional if needed.