1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bulb Brightness

1. Feb 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Normally, household lightbulbs are connected in parallel to a power supply. Suppose a 40 W and a 60 W lightbulb are, instead, connected in series. (see here) Which bulb is brighter?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]P_{resistor}=I\Delta V=I^2R =\frac{(\Delta V)^2}{R}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found out the answer is the 40 W light bulb but am not sure why. Since both bulbs are getting the same current it means the 60 W has a higher resistance according to the formula [tex]P=I^2R[/tex] Doesn't a higher resistance mean more energy dissipated means more light given off? Or am I thinking about it wrong?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How do you deduce that?

4. Feb 26, 2014 #3
    If I is the same for both resistors then according to P=I^2(R), R for the 60 W bulb must be higher.

But I am confused because according to P = V^2/R the 60 W has a higher R...how do I know which equation to use?

5. Feb 26, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you work out the resistance of a normally-operating 60w bulb in your house? How many ohms would it be?

6. Feb 26, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The "60W" rating assumes you are connecting it to the standard mains supply. There is nothing inherent to the bulb that guarantees it consumes 60W. The fundamental constant of the bulb is its resistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted