Bulb Brightness: 40 W vs 60 W

In summary, when two lightbulbs are connected in series, the one with the lower wattage will be brighter. This is because the fundamental constant of the bulb is its resistance, and in a series circuit, the higher resistance bulb will consume more power. Therefore, the 60W bulb will have a higher resistance and consume more power, making it less bright than the 40W bulb.
Coop

Homework Statement

Normally, household lightbulbs are connected in parallel to a power supply. Suppose a 40 W and a 60 W lightbulb are, instead, connected in series. (see here) Which bulb is brighter?

Homework Equations

[tex]P_{resistor}=I\Delta V=I^2R =\frac{(\Delta V)^2}{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found out the answer is the 40 W light bulb but am not sure why. Since both bulbs are getting the same current it means the 60 W has a higher resistance according to the formula [tex]P=I^2R[/tex] Doesn't a higher resistance mean more energy dissipated means more light given off? Or am I thinking about it wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Coop said:
it means the 60 W has a higher resistance

How do you deduce that?

If I is the same for both resistors then according to P=I^2(R), R for the 60 W bulb must be higher.

But I am confused because according to P = V^2/R the 60 W has a higher R...how do I know which equation to use?

Why don't you work out the resistance of a normally-operating 60w bulb in your house? How many ohms would it be?

Coop said:
If I is the same for both resistors then according to P=I^2(R), R for the 60 W bulb must be higher.

But I am confused because according to P = V^2/R the 60 W has a higher R...how do I know which equation to use?
The "60W" rating assumes you are connecting it to the standard mains supply. There is nothing inherent to the bulb that guarantees it consumes 60W. The fundamental constant of the bulb is its resistance.

What is the difference between 40 W and 60 W bulbs?

The number on a light bulb represents its wattage, which is the amount of energy it consumes per hour. A 60 W bulb uses 50% more energy than a 40 W bulb.

Which bulb is brighter, 40 W or 60 W?

In general, a 60 W bulb will be brighter than a 40 W bulb because it consumes more energy. However, the perceived brightness also depends on factors such as the type of bulb, its color temperature, and the lighting environment.

Can I use a 60 W bulb in a lamp that recommends a 40 W bulb?

It is not recommended to use a higher wattage bulb than what is recommended for a lamp. Doing so can cause the lamp to overheat and potentially start a fire. Always follow the recommended wattage for your lamp.

Why do some bulbs have the same wattage but different brightness levels?

The brightness of a bulb is determined by its lumens, not its wattage. Lumens measure the amount of visible light emitted by a bulb. Different types of bulbs can have the same wattage but produce varying levels of brightness due to differences in their lumens per watt efficiency.

Are 40 W and 60 W bulbs equally energy-efficient?

No, a 40 W bulb is more energy-efficient than a 60 W bulb because it consumes less energy. However, the overall energy efficiency also depends on the type of bulb and its lumens per watt efficiency. For example, a 40 W LED bulb may be more energy-efficient than a 60 W incandescent bulb.