Bulk modulus of water at 20000 psi

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a safety enclosure for hydrostatic testing at high pressures. The individual is having trouble finding data to calculate expansion energy for sudden brittle failure at pressures of 20000 psi. They are unable to use the formula for volume change due to a fixed volume and are planning to extrapolate data from lower pressures. They also mention considering the relationship between strain energy and temperature.
trianglytoast

Homework Statement

For a university project I have to design a safety enclosure for hydrostatic testing at pressures up to (20000 psi) on equipment with maximum volume 8m3. I am having difficulty finding data to calculate the expansion energy of water in the event of a sudden brittle failure. I cannot find any data for pressures this high, and given that I only have a fixed volume, cannot use the formula relating volume change to bulk modulus. The water is taken from the tap, so going to use a range of 10-20°C. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

u= 0.5βP2V

where:
u = liquid strain energy
β = bulk modulus of the liquid
P = pressure
V = volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found values for pressures up to 550 bar and was planning to linearly extrapolate, however I'm unsure if this is accurate.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have looked at the relationship between strain energy and temperature, however I am unsure how to factor this in.

1. What is the bulk modulus of water at 20000 psi?

The bulk modulus of water at 20000 psi is approximately 2.2 x 10^9 Pa, or 2.2 GPa.

2. How does the bulk modulus of water at 20000 psi affect its compressibility?

The higher the bulk modulus, the less compressible the substance is. Therefore, at 20000 psi, the bulk modulus of water indicates that it is highly resistant to compression.

3. What is the significance of knowing the bulk modulus of water at 20000 psi?

Knowing the bulk modulus of water at 20000 psi is important in many industries, such as oil and gas, where water is used as a hydraulic fluid. It helps engineers and scientists understand how water will behave under high pressure conditions and how it will affect the overall system.

4. Does the bulk modulus of water at 20000 psi change with temperature?

Yes, the bulk modulus of water at 20000 psi will change with temperature. In general, as temperature increases, the bulk modulus of water decreases. This is due to the thermal expansion of water molecules, making it easier to compress.

5. Can the bulk modulus of water at 20000 psi be altered by adding substances to the water?

Yes, the bulk modulus of water at 20000 psi can be altered by adding substances such as salts or gases to the water. These substances can change the interactions between water molecules, affecting the bulk modulus and compressibility of water.