Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bumping up threads

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1

Defennder

Homework Helper

I'm wondering if PF frowns on the practice of "bumping up" threads, that is posting empty replies to a thread you've started just so that it'll appear again at the top of the forum. I have a thread which is on the 2nd page of the homework forums and I don't know if anyone would bother looking on the 2nd page and beyond. I don't want to start a new thread on the same topic since it's against PF rules.

PS. The thread is here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=224400

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It's best to PM a HW helper or perhaps Mentor to get attention to a problem that has not been resolved.

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    If it's still relevant, and you'd like to ask a further question or for whatever reason then bump it, with the message: any more advice on this I'm still stuck? Or whatever. To be frank unless your bumping it for no reason I doubt they'll care. You might want to wait for an official reply before you do it though, in case there's a reason you shouldn't with this particular thread. But in my experience that is the way it works. I've bumped my thread on Is there life in the Universe twice in the year or so its been up, I doubt anyone particularly cared, since the question is still open and of interest.

And whs^

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  5. Mar 28, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

I think I'll do that in future. No objections, admins?

6. Mar 28, 2008 #5
    I don't have a problem with one bump, but no more than that.

7. Mar 28, 2008 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is a good alternative to "bumping," especially if you're being helped by a specific HW helper. I know that there must be some homework threads that I've forgotten about, and thus have left some questions un-answered for a while. In these circumstances I wouldn't mind a quick PM reminding me about the thread!

8. Mar 28, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, if someone has already started helping you, a quick PM to see if they saw your further question would be a good approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?