Bumping Up Threads on PhysicsForums - Is it OK?

• Thread starter Defennder
  • Start date
In summary, the thread discusses the practice of "bumping up" threads on Physics Forums, and the possibility of using private messages to get attention to unresolved problems. It is generally accepted to bump a thread once, but not multiple times, and it is recommended to PM a HW helper or Mentor if seeking further help on a specific thread.
Defennder
Homework Helper
I'm wondering if PF frowns on the practice of "bumping up" threads, that is posting empty replies to a thread you've started just so that it'll appear again at the top of the forum. I have a thread which is on the 2nd page of the homework forums and I don't know if anyone would bother looking on the 2nd page and beyond. I don't want to start a new thread on the same topic since it's against PF rules.

PS. The thread is here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=224400

Physics news on Phys.org
It's best to PM a HW helper or perhaps Mentor to get attention to a problem that has not been resolved.

If it's still relevant, and you'd like to ask a further question or for whatever reason then bump it, with the message: any more advice on this I'm still stuck? Or whatever. To be frank unless your bumping it for no reason I doubt they'll care. You might want to wait for an official reply before you do it though, in case there's a reason you shouldn't with this particular thread. But in my experience that is the way it works. I've bumped my thread on Is there life in the Universe twice in the year or so its been up, I doubt anyone particularly cared, since the question is still open and of interest.

And whs^

Last edited:
I think I'll do that in future. No objections, admins?

Astronuc said:
It's best to PM a HW helper or perhaps Mentor to get attention to a problem that has not been resolved.

This is a good alternative to "bumping," especially if you're being helped by a specific HW helper. I know that there must be some homework threads that I've forgotten about, and thus have left some questions un-answered for a while. In these circumstances I wouldn't mind a quick PM reminding me about the thread!

cristo said:
This is a good alternative to "bumping," especially if you're being helped by a specific HW helper. I know that there must be some homework threads that I've forgotten about, and thus have left some questions un-answered for a while. In these circumstances I wouldn't mind a quick PM reminding me about the thread!

I agree, if someone has already started helping you, a quick PM to see if they saw your further question would be a good approach.

1. Is it against the rules to bump up threads on PhysicsForums?

No, it is not against the rules to bump up threads on PhysicsForums. However, it is recommended that you do not bump up old threads unless you have additional relevant information to contribute.

2. What is considered an acceptable reason to bump up a thread?

An acceptable reason to bump up a thread is if you have new information or insights related to the topic of the thread that you believe would add value to the discussion.

3. Can I bump up my own thread multiple times?

While there is no specific rule against bumping up your own thread multiple times, it is generally frowned upon and may be seen as spamming the forum. It is best to only bump up your own thread if you have new relevant information to add.

4. Is there a limit to how often I can bump up a thread?

There is no specific limit to how often you can bump up a thread, but it is recommended to only do so sparingly. Bumping up a thread too frequently may be seen as disruptive to the forum and can annoy other users.

5. What should I do if I feel my thread has been unfairly ignored?

If you feel that your thread has been unfairly ignored, it is best to reach out to a moderator for assistance. They can review your thread and provide guidance on how to attract more attention and engagement from other users.