Bungee Jump relating to force question

In summary, the conversation discusses selecting a bungee cord to safely allow a 100 kg person to fall a maximum distance of 41 m. The formula F=kx is used to calculate the required value of k, which is found to be 664 N/m. Using this value, the distance x that the cord should stretch when a force of 420 N is applied is determined to be 0.63 m.
zerogoal

Homework Statement

A bungee cord is 30.0 {\rm m} long and, when stretched a distance x, it exerts a restoring force of magnitude kx. Your father-in-law (mass 100 kg) stands on a platform 45.0 {\rm m} above the ground, and one end of the cord is tied securely to his ankle and the other end to the platform. You have promised him that when he steps off the platform he will fall a maximum distance of only 41.0 {\rm m} before the cord stops him. You had several bungee cords to select from, and you tested them by stretching them out, tying one end to a tree, and pulling on the other end with a force of 420 N.

When you do this, what distance will the bungee cord that you should select have stretched?

Homework Equations

F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by using the F=kx formula
100(9.8)=k(41)
k=23.9
Then 420N/23.9=17.6 as the answer.

However this was not the correct answer. May i know how do i go about doing this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think that you can calculate the force on the rope when your stepfather has reached the bottom point. that force will have stretched the rope 41-30= 11 meters.
because you know the force, and the distance you can figure out the k (f=kx)
and then he wants to know what the distance stretched will be when you apply a force of 420N . Since you now know k you can easily calculate that distance

edit:Oh i see your fault, you assumed x as being 41 meters. x is the distance stretched, not the total distance :)

You need to first determine k.

I think this is best done by examining the potential energy over the distance he will have fallen (41m) and comparing it to the potential energy that must have gone into the bungee over (11m).

In case you don't have the potential energy of a spring, that would be

PE = 1/2*k*x2

Once you have the k, you can figure how much 420N will stretch it.

PE=mgh=1/2*k*x^2
=100(9.8)(41)=1/2*k*(11)^2
k=664?

Is it like this? Actually i don't understand how to get the PE that have gone into the bungee for the distance of 11m. Do i take the final PE - initial PE?

zerogoal said:
PE=mgh=1/2*k*x^2
=100(9.8)(41)=1/2*k*(11)^2
k=664?

Is it like this? Actually i don't understand how to get the PE that have gone into the bungee for the distance of 11m. Do i take the final PE - initial PE?

The initial PE of the bungee will be 0, until there is tension at 30m down.

664N/m looks right.

So if you pulled 420N then how far should it stretch?

If you aren't familiar with a spring PE, just think about the work needed to compress or stretch a spring.

W = ∫ F⋅ds = ∫ kx⋅dx = 1/2*k*x2 |ox

The work goes into stored energy, or PE.

so to get x, i just take 420/664=0.63m?

or do i use mgx=1/2kx^2 again?
(420)(x)=1/2(664)(x^2)
x=1.27m?

which method should i use to find the distance?

Last edited:
zerogoal said:
so to get x, i just take 420/664=0.63m?

Well you've already found k, so k = N/m and he's applying N's, so ... that's all you need do.

Yup got the answer already. Thanks a lot. Appreciate your effort in explaining to me.

1. What is the force exerted on the bungee cord during a jump?

The force exerted on the bungee cord is constantly changing throughout the jump. At the beginning, the force is equal to the jumper's weight, but as they fall, the force increases due to the acceleration of gravity. As the bungee cord stretches, the force decreases until it reaches its maximum length, at which point the force begins to increase again as the cord recoils and pulls the jumper back up.

2. How does the length of the bungee cord affect the force experienced during a jump?

The length of the bungee cord directly affects the force experienced during a jump. A longer cord will stretch more, resulting in a lower force at the beginning of the jump and a higher force towards the end. A shorter cord will have the opposite effect, with a higher force at the beginning and a lower force towards the end.

3. Does the weight of the jumper impact the force experienced during a bungee jump?

Yes, the weight of the jumper does impact the force experienced during a bungee jump. The force exerted on the bungee cord is directly proportional to the weight of the jumper, meaning a heavier jumper will experience a greater force during the jump compared to a lighter jumper.

4. Is there a maximum force that a bungee cord can withstand?

Yes, there is a maximum force that a bungee cord can withstand before breaking. This is known as the breaking strength of the cord and is determined by the material and construction of the cord. Bungee jumping companies typically use cords with a breaking strength of 2-3 times the weight of the jumper.

5. Can the force experienced during a bungee jump be dangerous?

If proper safety precautions are taken, the force experienced during a bungee jump is not dangerous. However, if the bungee cord is not properly maintained or if the jump is performed without proper training and equipment, the force could potentially cause injury or even death. It is important to always bungee jump with a reputable company that follows safety protocols and guidelines.