Solving a Buoyancy Problem with Carbon Steel

• Thread starter jdg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the buoyant force on a chunk of carbon steel submerged in water and solving for its volume and weight. It also covers solving for the flow rate and speed of water in a garden hose after someone steps on it and reduces its internal diameter.
jdg

Homework Statement

A chunk of carbon steel with density, ρ = 7.84 g/cm3 , is completely submerged in fresh water. The chuck of steel weighs 30 N more in air than in water

Homework Equations

Fb= ρgV ?

The Attempt at a Solution

How do you find the buoyancy without being given the volume? Should I assume 1 cm^3?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if we knew the question! Assuming that the question is "what is the buoyant force acting on the chunk of carbon steel?" use the fact that the block weighs 30 N less in water than in air. Try writing out the equations for the block's weight in each case.

I got that far, I'm not sure how to set up a problem like that. I found the specific gravity of steel in fresh water (d_steel/d_water)= (7840/1000)= 7.84

The questions were:

1. Find the buoyant force acting on the chunk of steel

2. Find the the volume of the chunk of steel

Well, the weight of the carbon steel chunck in air should be: Wair = mg

The weight of the carbon steel chunk in water should be: Wwater = mg - ?

And: Wair - Wwater = ?

Edit: Thanks for the questions! If you can solve this first one, you can solve the second question really simply!

Yea, my problem is, how do I find the mass? If I assume 1 m3 for the volume, it is 7840 kg

Um, you're not looking at this problem the right way. If Wair is greater than Wwater by 30 N, what does that suggest about Wair - Wwater?

Hint: To do this problem, you don't need to make any assumptions! :)

Wair - Wwater

Ok, so Wair - (Wair-30N)?

Yes! So this means that: Wair - (Wair - 30 N) = ?

mg-30?

wait, so the Wair's cancel and you get -30N?

No! Write out the expression for the weight of the carbon steel chunk in water and subtract it from the expression for the weight of the chunk in air.

Hint: Your expression should include the buoyant force.

Edit: Yes, the Wair cancels out, but: -(-30 N) != -30 N

ok awesome, so Fb= Fair-(Fair-30N)= 30 N? Then, volume= Fb/d*g (d=density) = 30/(7840*9.81) = 3.901e-4?

Yes! Fb = 30 N.

That's what I get for the Volume as well, or equivalently V = 390 cm3.

ok, so for weight in air it would be 30 N + 30 N= 60 N? And the mass would be m = Fair/g or m = (Fair-Fb)/g?

For the mass, use the relationship: ρ = m/V

Edit: Oops! Used the wrong density in calculating the volume, remember that the buoyant force equals the weight of the water displaced! I'm terribly sorry about that.

thanks a lot! you have time for one or 2 more?

Yeah, I can help on a couple more problems, but you may want to re-do a couple of the calculations. Sorry!

jdg said:
ok, so for weight in air it would be 30 N + 30 N= 60 N?

I don't think you can find the weight in air. It's juts "30N" heavier than in the weight water.

Following from jgens, the volume should be about 3.058e-3

Ok, I got: Fair= mg = 30 N
m = dV = (7840)(3.901e-4) =3.06 kg
V = Fb/dg = (30 N) / (7840*9.81) = 3.901 m3

Next question: A garden hose with internal diameter of 13.5 mm lies flat on a sidewalk while water is flowing in it at a speed of 6 m/s. A person happens to step on it at the very edge of the opening of the hose and decreases its internal diameter by a factor of 9

So D (1) = 0.0135m
r (1) = 0.00675m
D (2) = 0.0135/9 = 0.0015m
r (2) = 0.00075m
A (1) = pi*r^2 = (3.14...)(0.00675^2) = 1.4134...e-4
A (2) = pi*r^2 = (3.14...)(0.00075^2) = 1.767...e-6

1. What was the water flow rate in the hose prior to the person stepping on it?
- I got this part: J(1) = A(1)V(1) = 8.59 m3/s

2. What is the flow rate of water after the person steps on it?

3. What is the speed of the water just as it exits the hose after the person steps on it?

jdg said:
Ok, I got: Fair= mg = 30 N
m = dV = (7840)(3.901e-4) =3.06 kg
V = Fb/dg = (30 N) / (7840*9.81) = 3.901 m3

Not sure I agree with this. Start with Fb = 30 N. Now, use the eqaution Fb = ρwaterVg to find the volume. Then use the relationship ρ = m/V to find the mass.

ok, I got V = 0.003058...
m = 23.975...

for Q2, part 2 I did J = A(1)V(1) = A(2)V(2):

So V2 = V1*(A1/A2) = 486 m/s

Is this right?

And for part 3 I did

J = (A2)(V2) = 8.59e-4 m3/s

1. What is buoyancy and how does it relate to carbon steel?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object placed in it. Carbon steel, being a dense and heavy material, can affect the buoyancy of an object due to its weight and volume.

2. How can carbon steel be used to solve a buoyancy problem?

Carbon steel can be used to increase the weight of an object, thereby increasing its overall density and counteracting the buoyancy force. This can be achieved by adding carbon steel plates or blocks to the object.

3. What factors should be considered when using carbon steel to solve a buoyancy problem?

The weight and volume of the object, as well as the density and thickness of the carbon steel being added, should be carefully considered. The position and distribution of the added carbon steel also plays a role in determining the effectiveness of the solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using carbon steel for buoyancy solutions?

Yes, there are limitations to using carbon steel for buoyancy solutions. The added weight of the carbon steel may not always be enough to counteract the buoyancy force, and the added weight may also affect the stability and maneuverability of the object.

5. Are there any alternative materials or methods for solving buoyancy problems?

Yes, there are alternative materials and methods for solving buoyancy problems, such as using other types of metals or materials with higher densities, or utilizing different shapes or designs for the object to reduce its overall volume. Consulting with a professional engineer or scientist would be beneficial in determining the best approach for a specific buoyancy problem.