Buoyant Force of a ship and water

In summary, the equation shows that the pressure beneath the surface of a fluid is proportional to the volume displaced.
dab353

Homework Statement

Consider a ship that is floating in fresh water. The bottom of the ship is a depth of (df) below the surface. If the same ship is floating in sea water, the bottom of the ship (ds) below the surface. Given that the density of sea water is greater than the density of fresh water, which one of the following statements is correct?

The correct answer is ds<df

Homework Equations

Buyont Force = B=pVg

The Attempt at a Solution

B=(pf)(Vf)g=(ps)(Vs)(g)

Vf>Vs ---> How was this simplified to give the correct answer. I am confused.
df>ds

Physics news on Phys.org
dab353 said:
Vf>Vs ---> How was this simplified to give the correct answer. I am confused.
df>ds
How does volume of water displaced relate to depth below the surface?

Volume relates to depth below the surface in the equation (Pressure under water: P=ρ•g•h ; where ρ is the density of water m/V and h is the depth of water)

dab353 said:
Volume relates to depth below the surface in the equation (Pressure under water: P=ρ•g•h ; where ρ is the density of water m/V and h is the depth of water)
That equation describes the pressure beneath the surface of a fluid. What I asked for was much simpler. If a ship displaces a greater volume (Vf > Vs, say), what can you say about the depth of its bottom beneath the surface? (It's an easy question--don't over think it.)

That they are proportional. I am still confused as to how from the Buoyant force equation we were able to come up with the result of Vf being greater then Vs.

dab353 said:
That they are proportional. I am still confused as to how from the Buoyant force equation we were able to come up with the result of Vf being greater then Vs.
Ah, now I understand your question.

I think you understood this:
(pf)(Vf)g=(ps)(Vs)(g)

Now just rearrange as ratios, so that (pf)/(ps) = ?

How? Divide both sides by g, then by Vf, then by ps.

So if the density of Ps is greater then Pf, and not knowing by how much; how exactly would I set up the ratio? Also the ratio of Vs and Vf --> Would it be something like this? [(Pf)/(Ps)] [(Vf)/(Vs)]=

dab353 said:
So if the density of Ps is greater then Pf, and not knowing by how much; how exactly would I set up the ratio?
Start with the equation I gave in the last post. (Which was from your first post.)

Then do each of the three steps I outline.

1) Divide both sides by g
... and so on.

I am more of a visual learner as to where what goes. Still confused, but i'll ask someone from my department at school. Thanks!

Related to Buoyant Force of a ship and water

1. What is the buoyant force of a ship?

The buoyant force of a ship is the upward force exerted by water on the submerged part of the ship's hull. It is equal to the weight of the water that the ship displaces. This force allows the ship to float and supports its weight.

2. How is the buoyant force of a ship calculated?

The buoyant force of a ship can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This can be represented by the equation Fb = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the fluid displaced by the ship, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the buoyant force of a ship?

The buoyant force of a ship is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the ship's hull, the density of the water, and the depth at which the ship is submerged. The shape and size of the hull determine the volume of water displaced, while the density of the water and depth affect the weight of the water displaced.

4. How does the buoyant force of a ship change in different bodies of water?

The buoyant force of a ship will remain the same in different bodies of water as long as the ship has the same shape and size. However, the density of the water will affect the weight of the water displaced, which will in turn affect the buoyant force. For example, a ship will experience a greater buoyant force in saltwater compared to freshwater due to the difference in density.

5. Can the buoyant force of a ship be greater than its weight?

Yes, the buoyant force of a ship can be greater than its weight, which allows the ship to float on the surface of the water. This is because the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the water displaced, not the weight of the ship itself. However, if the weight of the ship exceeds the buoyant force, the ship will sink.