1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyant Force

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    So I'm in a general physics class and the teacher asked us to find the percentage of a sphere immerses in water and I can't seem to figure out how to find the percentage. I was wondering if there's an equation to use or what to find the answer. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF.
    When you get stuck like this, try thinking of a similar situation you do know the answer to.

Hint: you know ice floats approximately 90% submerged? (nine-tenths)

What is the density of ice divided by the density of liquid water?
    What is that as a percentage?

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3
    Okay that makes sense. In this same question, it asks to draw a free body diagram to find all the forces. I only found the buoyant force and the gravity force and those don't allow me to have two densities. So did I do the FBD wrong and I'm missing some forces or do I rearrange archimedes' principle to substitute another density? Hope this makes sense.

5. Jan 17, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is the buoyant force related to the densities?

6. Jan 17, 2012 #5
    I'm assuming so that way I can solve for the percentage.

7. Jan 18, 2012 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So if you have a buoyant force in your free body diagram, that accounts for the two densities right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook