Business student who likes science

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's realization that they do not enjoy business and would rather pursue a career in science, specifically physics or astrophysics. However, they are hesitant to switch majors so close to graduation and wonder if they can still enter the field of science with a BS in business. The responder suggests that the speaker could use their business skills in the science field, either as an actuary or by helping scientists with funding and financial management. They also caution that the details of science may not be as glamorous as they seem in documentaries.
anonchi
Im 21 and should be graduating in December with a BS in Accounting and BS in Finance. Now that I'm actually close to graduating, I'm beginning to think more about life after college. One thing I've realized is that I don't like business. Sure I could go through with it and be successful, but I'd rather do what I love, and that's science. I haven't narrowed it down too much, but I think I'd like to do physics or astrophysics. Who knows, maybe I'll end up changing my mind about the specific field I'd like to go into, but either way, I'm definitely going down the wrong path. Since I'm so close to graduating, I'm not going to switch majors suddenly and waste four years of time and tuition. How would I go about getting into science with a BS in business? Do I need a BS in science to do a Masters in science? If I need a BS, can I take the main classes (calculus, physics, etc.) without all the extra general studies that goes with a degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
stick with business. you don't know if you like physics or not. physicists and engineers need businessmen to market their ideas and products in a market economy, and beg for funding in a command economy. businessmen never go out of business.

the biggest obstacle to big science is funding. you can make it happen and help science far more than if you actually studied science.

You're right when you say i don't know if I like physics or not. I watch a lot of science documentaries and I love learning about the way the world works. The thing is - I don't know if I'd be interested in the details. I am a big picture kind of person. While learning about the cosmos is interesting to me, I don't think I'd be interested in the minute, insignificant details.

I'd like to be involved in science in some way though. Any suggestions?

Hey anonchi and welcome to the forums.

If you are interested in learning some more statistics and a bit more other math, becoming an actuary might be up your alley.

You can always appreciate science in the way that you already are. If you want to get your toes wet, maybe take 1 course in physics and see how you like it?

anonchi said:
You're right when you say i don't know if I like physics or not. I watch a lot of science documentaries and I love learning about the way the world works. The thing is - I don't know if I'd be interested in the details. I am a big picture kind of person. While learning about the cosmos is interesting to me, I don't think I'd be interested in the minute, insignificant details.

I'd like to be involved in science in some way though. Any suggestions?

like i said, scientists and engineers need people to help them sell their products/beg for funding. then they need people to help them manage their finances. that's where businessmen and accountants come in - you.

here's what I'm going to say about the "not interested in details" - I've been reading some astrophysics papers recently. I'm totally untrained in this field, but i can tell that it is nothing , NOTHING like the science documentaries. its seriously more like accounting than you think it is.

1. What types of careers are available for a business student who likes science?

There are a variety of careers available that combine business and science, such as market research analyst, healthcare administrator, patent lawyer, and environmental consultant.

2. How can a business student incorporate their love for science into their studies?

Many business programs offer concentrations or electives in areas such as biotechnology, data analytics, or sustainability. Business students can also choose to pursue a double major or minor in a science-related field.

3. What skills do you need to be successful as a business student who likes science?

A strong foundation in both business and science is essential, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Effective communication and teamwork are also important for collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds.

4. Are there any resources or organizations specifically for business students interested in science?

Yes, there are many resources and organizations available for business students interested in science. These include professional associations, networking groups, and conferences focused on the intersection of business and science.

5. Can a business student who likes science make a difference in the world?

Absolutely! Business students who are passionate about science can use their skills and knowledge to make a positive impact in fields such as healthcare, sustainability, and technology. They can also contribute to ethical and responsible business practices that benefit society.