DUARS Satellite Re-Entry: Impressive Light Show & Potential Debris Threat

In summary, the UARS satellite is expected to enter the Earth's atmosphere this weekend, sooner than originally predicted by NASA. While the exact trajectory is still uncertain, it is estimated that anyone in the vicinity of the satellite's return will witness an impressive light show. However, there is a 1 in 3200 chance of being hit by debris from the satellite, made of titanium, aluminum, steel, and beryllium, which weighs around 1,170 pounds. This probability is not specific to individuals, but rather the chances that at least one person somewhere on the planet will be hit, given the current uncertainty. As the satellite's strike zone shrinks over the next few days, the probability will rise for those still within
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Where will it be by this weekend? They're saying between Canada and the southern tip of south America. Is that wrong? (wouldn't be surprised).
Update: they've narrowed it down to somewhere between the North Pole and Antarctica.

One way or another Evo, you'll be missed.

Jimmy Snyder said:

...ah, Jimmy...:rofl:

Jimmy Snyder said:

:rofl:

Hahahaha

Rofl

Jimmy Snyder said:
That's even better than "Cheer up, Harold (Camping). It's not the end of the world"

Well, it's cooler than being eaten by mountain lions!:wink:

Lisa! said:
Well, it's cooler than being eaten by mountain lions!:wink:
I don't know about that! Being eaten by a mountain lion in the rugged terrain of Mount Sunflower would be pretty cool.

turbo said:
I don't know about that! Being eaten by a mountain lion in the rugged terrain of Mount Sunflower would be pretty cool.

I had a mountain lion eat my little brothers couch once. He still doesn't believe me.

But anyways, the latest news:

Now, in what NASA calls an “uncontrolled” re-entry — there is no more fuel to guide it — it will plop down somewhere on Friday afternoon, give or take a few hours.

In the meantime, #UARS has turned into a popular hashtag on Twitter. “I’m selling anti-satellite-debris umbrellas for $145 each,” one user wrote.

hmmm... I think it's a bit late to take up a collection for the Evo umbrella. Or does FedEx have same day service?

Oh,well. I paid my share of her generous salary for many years and never got to sneak off to Bora Bora or any PF getaways for the secret brother/sisterhood. Yep! a new sub-forum with a secret handshake. It's a revolution.

Anyway, look over here (MIB flash!) Nothing to see here.

Good news for Evo. Her chances of getting hit are decreasing.

On the other hand, my chances of getting hit are increasing. But the satellite would have to stay up until Sunday to pass really close to me, and that appears unlikely.

The picture shows the closest it will get to Evo (the red lines show how close it did get to Evo in the past). Time is Universal Standard Time, or about 7:20 PM 23 Sep Central Time.

Edit: Wow! I just noticed something. If it stays up until tomorrow night, my ex could get hit and I would have to stop making alimony payments.

Attachments

• uars1.JPG
    uars1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
BobG said:
Good news for Evo. Her chances of getting hit are decreasing.

On the other hand, my chances of getting hit are increasing. But the satellite would have to stay up until Sunday to pass really close to me, and that appears unlikely.

The picture shows the closest it will get to Evo (the red lines show how close it did get to Evo in the past). Time is Universal Standard Time, or about 7:20 PM 23 Sep Central Time.
It's coming for me!

Opinions on the best site to go for up-to-date info as the time approaches? I keep hitting articles, none have any data or tracking apps.

DaveC426913 said:
Opinions on the best site to go for up-to-date info as the time approaches? I keep hitting articles, none have any data or tracking apps.
Tracking sites are overloaded and off-line.

Janus said:
It's hard to say. Every 96 min. the Earth rotates 24°, so at a latitude of say 45°, that works out to a ~1900 km shift per orbit. So you would have to pin the time down pretty tightly to get a position.

Here's the real time track for the satellite:

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=21701

As I post it is just about to cross the Equator in the Pacific.
The tracking site is down!

You people get off of my tracking site!

Try Heavens Above.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

You can enter your city and find out when it will be close to you. (Just click the "all" button instead of the "visible passes only" button.)

Or, if you have some sort of program for satellite orbits - an orbit simulator or such - just enter the elsets into your program and you can compute your own tracks.

BobG said:
Try Heavens Above.

You can enter your city and find out when it will be close to you. (Just click the "all" button instead of the "visible passes only" button.)

Or, if you have some sort of program for satellite orbits - an orbit simulator or such - just enter the elsets into your program and you can compute your own tracks.

Well, I was really just looking for up-to-date info on its projected re-entry time and area.

lisab said:
A 1-in-3200 chance of being hit by debris? Yikes!

You need a steel umbrella, Evo!

A concrete bunker might work better.

BobG said:
Try Heavens Above.

Thanks Bob, looks like 4:37pm if I did it right.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, I was really just looking for up-to-date info on its projected re-entry time and area.

2:40PM EST, Rochester, NH... just outside my condo in my parking space.

The insurance company is never going to believe me.

[PLAIN]http://theotherplaceportal.net/files/2010/12/muffin-300x192.jpg
(Src: http://theotherplaceportal.net/blog/the-other-place/car-crushed-by-giant-blue-muffin/" )

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:

It only takes 88 minutes for it to complete an orbit. It's moving about 285 miles a minute. Given how hard it is to predict exactly when the satellite will reenter the atmosphere and the amount of time that passes before observations and an updated elset being available to public websites, those projections won't be terribly accurate. Their projections are more like the time that has the highest probability.

This site gives an estimated impact range:

http://reentrynews.aero.org/1991063b.html

Janus said:

Thanks, Janus (I guess). That chart shows LOTS of tracks overlap around Maine, PQ, and the Maritimes. That adds up to a lot of hang-time.

Looks like South America gets a free pass, though.

Janus said:

To all,

Wouldn't be ironic and hilarious if a big chunk came down on where they located and removed Bin Laden, now THAT would make my day.

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:

BobG said:
Edit: Wow! I just noticed something. If it stays up until tomorrow night, my ex could get hit and I would have to stop making alimony payments.

Bob, she survived you for a few years. Do you think she is scared of a silly satellite hit? :wink:

Don't overreact with a "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" scenario...oh...wait

Now they're saying that the impact will be between 6pm and 4am EDT, over the US. If true, it should be quite a show as you run for your life. :tongue2:

Right, a bit akin to Elinin

FlexGunship said:
Yes, when it bursts into flames as it contact the upper atmosphere you should be able to see it pretty well from outside of your bomb shelter. When it hits your bomb shelter you should be able to see it pretty well from inside your bomb shelter.

Just leave Evo in the bomb shelter and drive out of the impact zone right away.

turbo said:
Just leave Evo in the bomb shelter and drive out of the impact zone right away.
:frown:

Evo said:
it should be quite a show as you run for your life. :tongue2:

I think not running is better - chances of being hit are identical, but you won't die sweaty.

Borek said:
I think not running is better - chances of being hit are identical, but you won't die sweaty.
Or with messy hair.

Back