How to Verify Curvature Equation Using Chain Rule

In summary, to verify the equality |T ' (s)| = |T ' (t)| / |r ' (t)|, use the chain rule to get T'(s) in terms of t.
nate9519

Homework Statement

verify that |T ' (s)| = |T ' (t)| / |r ' (t)|

Homework Equations

K = |dT / ds|

K = |r'(t) x r''(t)| / |r'(t)|^3 the x is a cross product

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start this problem because one side of the verification is in terms of arc length and the other side is in terms of time. Could some one help me get the ball rolling and explain how I get both sides in terms of the same parameter

Physics news on Phys.org
nate9519 said:

Homework Statement

verify that |T ' (s)| = |T ' (t)| / |r ' (t)|

Homework Equations

K = |dT / ds|

K = |r'(t) x r''(t)| / |r'(t)|^3 the x is a cross product

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start this problem because one side of the verification is in terms of arc length and the other side is in terms of time. Could some one help me get the ball rolling and explain how I get both sides in terms of the same parameter

Your relevant equations aren't relevant. Use the chain rule to get ##T'(s)## in terms of ##t##.

1. What is curvature in Calculus 3?

Curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line. In Calculus 3, it is typically used to analyze the curvature of a three-dimensional object or surface.

2. How is curvature calculated in Calculus 3?

The curvature of a curve in Calculus 3 is calculated using the formula k(t) = |T'(t)| / |r'(t)|, where k(t) is the curvature at a given point, T'(t) is the derivative of the tangent vector, and r'(t) is the derivative of the position vector.

3. What is the purpose of verifying curvature in Calculus 3?

Verifying curvature in Calculus 3 is important because it allows us to determine the shape and behavior of a curve, as well as identify any points of inflection or critical points. It also helps us understand the relationship between the curve and its tangent lines.

4. What are some methods for verifying curvature in Calculus 3?

There are several methods for verifying curvature in Calculus 3, including using the curvature formula, finding the radius of curvature, and using the osculating circle method. Additionally, software programs such as MATLAB and Mathematica can also be used for verification.

5. What real-world applications use Calculus 3 curvature verification?

Curvature verification in Calculus 3 has many real-world applications, including in engineering for designing curved structures, in physics for analyzing the motion of objects in space, and in computer graphics for creating smooth and realistic 3D models. It is also used in fields such as robotics, astronomy, and geology.