Calc 3 (parametric equations) My answers won't match/can't find arithmetic error

In summary: Pi} \frac{1 - \cos(2t)}{2} dt= -ab \frac{t}{2} + \frac{\sin(2t)}{4} \Big|_{0}^{2Pi}= -ab \frac{2Pi}{2} + \frac{\sin(4Pi)}{4} - \frac{\sin(0)}{4}= -abPi + 0 - 0 = -abPiSo the answer is correct, there is no negative sign missing.
d3nat
two questions.
I know I'm doing the work right, but I can't get my answers to match and they are pretty close. I think it's just some arithmetic errors.
Help? I've been trying to solve my mistakes forever. I can't find them!

Homework Statement

Use the parametric equation of an ellipse x = acos(t) and y=bsin(t) from 0<t<2PI (those are or equal to signs)

Homework Equations

A=INTEGRAL from 0 - 2PI ydx

The Attempt at a Solution

INTEGRAL from 0-2PI bsin(t)(-asin(t) dt
= -ab INTEGRAL 0 -2PI sin^2(t) dt
= -ab EVALUATED 1/2 (t) - 1/4*sin(2t) from 0-2PI
= -ab ((1/2*(2PI) - 1/4 (sin(2*2PI) - 0)
= -abPI

But the answer is abPI. I don't know where the negative sign goes... or if I am supposed to have another one that cancels mine out

Homework Statement

Find the exact length of the curve

Homework Equations

x = 1+3t^2
y= 4+2t^3
0<t<1 (or equal)
)^2)
L= INTEGRAL from a - b SQUARE ROOT (dx/dt)^2 +(dy/dt)^2 END SQUARE ROOT dt

The Attempt at a Solution

dx/dt = 6t
dy/dt = 6t^2

L= INTEGRAL from 0-1 SQARE ROOT (6t)^2 + (6t^2)^2 END SQUARE ROOT dt
= 6 INTEGRAL from 0-1 t* SR 1+t^2 dt
using u substitution

u = 1+t^2
du = 2t dt
boundaries change to 1 - 2
= 3 * integral from 1-2 square root u du
= 3 * 2*u^3/2 evaluated from 1-2
= 3 * ( 2(2)^3/2 - 2(1)^3/2 )
= 3 * (4 square root (2) - 2)
= 12 square root (2) - 6

answer is supposed to be
4 square root (2) - 1

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved #2.
I was doing the integral wrong. DUH! I can't believe it took me so long to figure out. I was bringing 2 (reversed of 1/2) down, not 2/3 (reversed of 3/2) and I wrote the answer down wrong. It was supposed to be 4 square root (2) - 2.

So I solved that one after an 'aha!' moment. Still working on the first.

For the integral

[tex]-ab\int_{0}^{2Pi} \sin^2 t dt[/tex]

use [tex]\sin^2 t = \frac{1 - \cos(2t)}{2}[/tex]

What is the difference between a parametric equation and a Cartesian equation?

A parametric equation describes the coordinates of a point on a curve in terms of one or more parameters, such as time. A Cartesian equation, on the other hand, describes the relationship between x and y coordinates on a graph. In a parametric equation, the x and y values are expressed separately, while in a Cartesian equation, they are combined using mathematical operations.

How do you graph a parametric equation?

To graph a parametric equation, you first need to solve for the x and y coordinates separately. Then, plot these coordinates on a graph and connect them to create the curve. You can also use a calculator or graphing software to graph parametric equations.

What is the purpose of using parametric equations?

Parametric equations are often used to describe the motion of objects in physics and engineering. They can also be used to represent complex curves and shapes that are difficult to express using Cartesian equations. Parametric equations also allow for more flexibility and precision in graphing and solving equations.

How do you convert a parametric equation into a Cartesian equation?

To convert a parametric equation into a Cartesian equation, you can use the parametric form of equations, which states that x = x(t) and y = y(t). Substitute these expressions into the parametric equation and solve for t. Then, substitute the value of t into the x and y expressions to get the corresponding Cartesian equation.

What are some real-life applications of parametric equations?

Parametric equations are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, such as projectiles and satellites, and to create complex curves and shapes in computer-generated images. They are also used in designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.