1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc III - Graphing a Function of Multiple Variables by hand

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    I come across questions where I have to match the equation with its contour map and graph.

Examples:

z = sin(xy)

z = sin(x-y)

Right now I'm using Wolfram Alpha for all of these, but supposing these appear on an exam... how do I graph it by hand? :confused: For example, for z = sin(xy) I'm just plugging in random values for x and y... but doesn't that mean the entire xy graph should be filled then?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

A contour of (for example) sin(xy) is a curve on the x, y plane where this function is constant. This in turn means that the product xy must be constant. So you could write

c = xy
    y = c/x

And for each c you get a different contour. Plotting the curves once you have them in that form is probably a little more familiar to you.

4. Feb 18, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Set z equal to some value (-1 ≤ z ≤ 1, why?), then solve for y in terms of x.

5. Feb 18, 2012 #4

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

If you're doing it by hand I think it's easier to do what I wrote, for a few simple c values and afterwards evaluate what z is on each curve. Of course your way works too.

6. Feb 18, 2012 #5
    Wow, this is brilliant @_@ Thank you

You would need a calculator for this method though, right? Inverse sin of (-1 to 1) = xy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook