1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc III: sphere & plane intersection.

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1
    Consider the intersection of the sphere (x-3)^2+(y+2)^2+(z-1)^2=13 with the plane x+y=0

a) This intersection should be a familiar curve. Describe the curve.

b) Substituing x=-y or y=-x into the equation of the sphere does not give this curve. Explain the difference.

I know that the intersectionis a circle but I am having trouble proving that. I rearranged the above equation and set it equal to x+y:

The next thing I did was put the like terms together to give the following equation:

I then simplified this equation:

Now I am stuck. This just looks like a smaller sphere.
    Also, I would plug in x=-y or vice versa but the second part of the question says that will not give me the result that I want.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

The intersection of a sphere and a plane will be one of the following.
    1. The empty set (the two don't actually intersect).
    2. A single point.
    3. A circle.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  4. Jan 22, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi hq1330! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    I think this question is unnecessarily obscure. :frown:

A curve, in three dimensions, requires two equations to describe it, so of course substituing x=-y or y=-x into one equation, which will only give one equation, cannot give the curve.

(in fact, it will give the two-dimensional projection of the curve onto the xz or yz plane)

Sooo … plug away! :smile:

(also, the method you used gives a whole surface, including eg the intersection of the sphere (x-3)2+(y+2)2+(z-1)2=14 with the plane x+y=1, doesn't it? :wink:)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook