Calc III: sphere & plane intersection.

In summary, the curve is a familiar one, and can be described as a curve in three dimensions with two equations.
hq1330
Consider the intersection of the sphere (x-3)^2+(y+2)^2+(z-1)^2=13 with the plane x+y=0

a) This intersection should be a familiar curve. Describe the curve.

b) Substituing x=-y or y=-x into the equation of the sphere does not give this curve. Explain the difference.

I know that the intersectionis a circle but I am having trouble proving that. I rearranged the above equation and set it equal to x+y:

(x-3)^2+(y+2)^2+(z-1)^2-13=x+y

The next thing I did was put the like terms together to give the following equation:

x^2-6x+9-x+y^2+4y+4+y+z^2-2z+1-13=0

I then simplified this equation:

X^2-7x+9+y^2+3y+4+(z-1)^2-13=0

Now I am stuck. This just looks like a smaller sphere.
Also, I would plug in x=-y or vice versa but the second part of the question says that will not give me the result that I want.

Physics news on Phys.org
The intersection of a sphere and a plane will be one of the following.
  1. The empty set (the two don't actually intersect).
  2. A single point.
  3. A circle.

Last edited:
Hi hq1330! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
hq1330 said:
Consider the intersection of the sphere (x-3)^2+(y+2)^2+(z-1)^2=13 with the plane x+y=0

a) This intersection should be a familiar curve. Describe the curve.

b) Substituing x=-y or y=-x into the equation of the sphere does not give this curve. Explain the difference.

Also, I would plug in x=-y or vice versa but the second part of the question says that will not give me the result that I want.

I think this question is unnecessarily obscure. :frown:

A curve, in three dimensions, requires two equations to describe it, so of course substituing x=-y or y=-x into one equation, which will only give one equation, cannot give the curve.

(in fact, it will give the two-dimensional projection of the curve onto the xz or yz plane)

Sooo … plug away! :smile:

(also, the method you used gives a whole surface, including eg the intersection of the sphere (x-3)2+(y+2)2+(z-1)2=14 with the plane x+y=1, doesn't it? :wink:)

1. How do you find the intersection of a sphere and a plane?

The intersection of a sphere and a plane can be found by setting up the equation of the sphere and the equation of the plane, and then solving for the values where they are equal. This will give the coordinates of the points where the sphere and plane intersect.

2. What is the significance of the intersection of a sphere and a plane?

The intersection of a sphere and a plane is significant in many applications, such as computer graphics and geometry. It can also be used to solve problems involving spheres and planes, such as finding the point of contact between a sphere and a plane.

3. How many points of intersection can a sphere and a plane have?

A sphere and a plane can have either 0, 1, or 2 points of intersection. If the sphere and plane do not intersect at all, they are considered disjoint. If they intersect at one point, they are tangent to each other. If they intersect at two points, they are considered to be intersecting.

4. Is there a specific formula for calculating the intersection of a sphere and a plane?

Yes, there is a specific formula for calculating the intersection of a sphere and a plane. It involves setting up the equations for the sphere and the plane, and then solving for the values where they are equal. This can be done using algebraic methods or by using vector calculus.

5. Can a sphere and a plane intersect at an angle other than 90 degrees?

Yes, a sphere and a plane can intersect at an angle other than 90 degrees. This can happen if the plane is not perpendicular to the center of the sphere. In this case, the angle of intersection will depend on the location of the plane and the size of the sphere.