Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate concentration of an acid

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    How can I calculate the concentration of sulfuric acid with help of a neutralisation equation? (in mol/l or g/l)
    Neutralisation takes place with either NaOH or KOH.

I've been searching for a tutorial for hours, but didn't find anything helpful.
    Could someone please explain me how to do it? I would appreciate it a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2015 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

ANY, ANY GOOD analytical or general chemistry textbook will have instruction for this. Even an "elementary chemistry" textbook may have good information about neutralization titrations.

You must know the :
    Formula weight of H2SO4
    Formula weight of either the KOH or the NaOH
    Molarity of the KOH or the NaOH
    Amount of sample containing the H2SO4

You may need to refer to the balanced written reaction for any help on ratios, if any needed.
    H2SO4 + 2NaOH --------> Na2SO4 + 2H2O

What help do you need from here? How is your sample form? Liquid containing sulfuric acid? High concentration expected? Expecting volume taken and diluted? Expecting MASS taken and diluted? Expecting sample MASS or VOLUME but undiluted? If diluting, what size aloquot?

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3
    This would become a lot easier if you could elaborate on the parameters you do have with you (volume of H2so4, molarity of base, etc). Once you mention that the relevant equation can be obtained.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook