Calculate Halflife of Alpha Decay: Sm^{147}_{62} to Nd^{143}_{60}

• Thread starter Denver Dang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the theoretical halflife for the ground state alpha-decay of Sm^{147}_{62} to Nd^{143}_{60}, with a branching ratio of 100% and a Q_{\alpha}-value of 2.311 MeV. The equation used for this calculation is <tex>t_{1/2} = \frac{\ln (2)}{\lambda} = \tau \ln(2)</tex> and the poster is looking for a hint or clarification on how to solve the problem. They also mention a separate problem they are working on and ask for assistance.
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

Hi...

I think I might be staring blind at this one.
I have to calculate the theoretical halflife for the ground state alpha-decay, and compare it to the experimental value.

What is know is that the nuclei [itex]Sm^{147}_{62}[/itex] decays by the emission of a alpha-particle to the ground state of [itex]Nd^{143}_{60}[/itex] with a branching ratio of 100%. The two ground states have same spin and parity. The [tex]Q_{\alpha}[/tex]-value is 2.311 MeV.

Homework Equations

Not sure tbh...

<tex>t_{1/2} = \frac{\ln (2)}{\lambda} = \tau \ln(2)</tex>

The Attempt at a Solution

I dunno... I'm missing something, or then it is just very very simple :/

So I was kinda looking for a hint or something :)

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find an equation which is designed for the alpha decay since you do not have enough information in order to use that standard halflife equation.
[PLAIN]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3199/result1o.png

Another thing: You should write Z and A on the left of the atom (as far as I know, bottom right index on the right is for N, so it could cause some confusion).

Since this is on the same level as my nuclear physics, you may be able to help me with my problem:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=481200

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is alpha decay?

Alpha decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an unstable atom releases an alpha particle, consisting of two protons and two neutrons, from its nucleus.

2. How is the half-life of alpha decay calculated?

The half-life of alpha decay can be calculated using the formula t1/2 = ln(2) / λ, where λ is the decay constant.

3. What is the decay constant?

The decay constant is a measure of the rate at which an unstable atom undergoes decay. It is denoted by the symbol λ and has units of inverse time (usually seconds-1).

4. How is the decay constant related to the half-life?

The decay constant and the half-life are inversely proportional. This means that as the decay constant increases, the half-life decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the half-life of alpha decay be predicted for a specific atom?

No, the half-life of alpha decay is a probabilistic event and cannot be predicted for a specific atom. However, the half-life for a large number of atoms can be determined experimentally and used to make predictions.