Calculate Instantaneous Velocity at t=2s

In summary, the conversation is about finding the slope of a tangent line and the discrepancy between the calculated answer and the given answer. The person who attempted the solution used numbers that resulted in a slope of 3.66, while the given answer is 3.8. They discuss the possibility of a different method and mention estimating the distance intercept.
Biscuit

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the slope of the tangent line, but this gave me 3.66 and the answer is 3.8 how do I find this?

Attachments

• position vs time.png
    position vs time.png
    6 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
First, for the graph you've given us, I don't think you could be expected to do any better.

Second, but what numbers did you use? It looks like your tangent crosses the time axis at 3.5sec and the distance axis at over 13, so 13/3.5 = 3.71 should be lower than your answer? Their suggestion of 3.8 looks like 13.3/3.5 and I can estimate the distance intercept between13.26 and 13.33 or even 13.4 (a pixel or two on my copy!)

Merlin3189 said:
First, for the graph you've given us, I don't think you could be expected to do any better.

Second, but what numbers did you use? It looks like your tangent crosses the time axis at 3.5sec and the distance axis at over 13, so 13/3.5 = 3.71 should be lower than your answer? Their suggestion of 3.8 looks like 13.3/3.5 and I can estimate the distance intercept between13.26 and 13.33 or even 13.4 (a pixel or two on my copy!)
your copy is as good as mine I forget the exact numbers I used but I was hoping there would be a different way to go about it other than eyeballing it.

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. It is the rate of change of an object's position at that moment.

2. How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

To calculate instantaneous velocity at t=2s, you would need to know the object's position at t=2s and at t=1s. Then, you would use the formula v = (x2 - x1) / (t2 - t1), where v is the instantaneous velocity, x2 is the object's position at t=2s, x1 is the object's position at t=1s, t2 is 2 seconds, and t1 is 1 second.

3. What is the difference between instantaneous velocity and average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the speed at a specific moment, while average velocity is the overall speed of an object over a period of time. Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time.

4. Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive velocity.

5. Why is it important to calculate instantaneous velocity?

Calculating instantaneous velocity allows us to understand the motion of an object at a specific moment in time. It can also help us determine the acceleration of an object and predict its future position and speed. This information is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.