Calculate Metal Density Using Tension in Water - Step by Step Guide

• Thread starter Student_93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the density of a piece of metal using Archimedes' principle and the weight of the object. The process involves calculating the buoyant force, using the density of water to find the volume, and then using the weight of the object to find its mass. The final calculation gives a density of 5000 kg/m^3 for the metal.
Student_93
Findind density !

A piece of metal of unknown volume is immersed in water by means of a thread. Before lowering the piece in water , the tension in the thread is 10 N .
The tension in the thread in when the piece is immersed in water is 8 N.
Find the Density of the metal?

My Attempt :

10N-8N=2N . .
Now , How to calculate volume using Newton? :/

Solve it before i come up with a zero in my exam

Physics news on Phys.org

Student_93 said:
10N-8N=2N . .
OK, that's the buoyant force on the object. What does Archimedes' principle tell you?

it tells me . .
when an object is immersed in a liquid ,the liquid applies a buoyant force which is equal to the weight of water displaced by the object.

Student_93 said:
it tells me . .
when an object is immersed in a liquid ,the liquid applies a buoyant force which is equal to the weight of water displaced by the object.
Right! Use that fact to figure out the volume. (What's the density of water?)

1 gcm^3
but i still didn't get it how can i find density when i don't have the values of volume and mass?

Student_93 said:
but i still didn't get it how can i find density when i don't have the values of volume and mass?
(1) Use the weight of the object to find its mass.
(2) Use the buoyant force and the density of water to find its volume.

The volume of water displaced is the volume of the suspended mass. The difference between immersed and unimmersed tension tells you the mass of the water displaced.

why don't u solve it and give me answer? :P

i have got it . . .
its mass is 0.2 kg
and F=p*g*v
And v=F/p*g
v=2/1000*10
v=0.0002 m^3

m=w/g
m=10/10
m=1 kg

density = Mass/Volume
=1/0.0002
density=5000 kgm^-3

Good!

Physics is easy, except for the hard part.

Related to Calculate Metal Density Using Tension in Water - Step by Step Guide

1. What is the formula for calculating metal density using tension in water?

The formula for calculating metal density using tension in water is density = (mass of metal / volume of metal) x (9.8 m/s^2) / (tension in water).

2. How do you measure the mass of the metal?

The mass of the metal can be measured using a scale or balance. Make sure to zero out the scale before placing the metal on it for an accurate measurement.

3. How do you measure the volume of the metal?

The volume of the metal can be measured using a ruler or caliper to determine its dimensions. Then, use the appropriate formula for calculating the volume based on the shape of the metal (e.g. volume of a cylinder = π * radius^2 * height).

4. What is the significance of tension in water for calculating metal density?

Tension in water is important because it measures the buoyant force acting on the metal, which is equal to the weight of the water displaced by the metal. This buoyant force affects the weight of the metal and therefore, its density.

5. Are there any sources of error in this calculation method?

Yes, there are several potential sources of error such as inaccurate measurements of mass or volume, discrepancies in the tension in water measurement, and variations in water temperature or salinity. It is important to take multiple measurements and average them for a more accurate result.