Calculate Moment of Inertia & Angular Momentum of Helicopter Main Rotor

In summary, the main rotor of a helicopter consists of 4 4m long blades attached to a central motor unit. Each blade has a uniform mass per unit length of 7.5 kg/m. Using the formula for moment of inertia of a rod about one end, we can calculate the moment of inertia of the main rotor to be 640 kg*m^2. Assuming the blades are set to rotate at 6000 rotations/min, the total angular momentum of the main rotor can be calculated using the formula L=Iw, resulting in an answer of 402,123 J*s.
captainjack2000
Helicopter's main rotor consists of 4 4m long individual blades. One end of each of the four blades is attached to a central motor unit. Assuming that each of the blades has a uniform mass per unit length of 7.5 kg/m calculate the moment of inertia of the main rotor.
blades are set to rotate at 6000rotations/min. Calculate the total angular momentum of the main rotor.

moment of inertia of a rod about one end is (Ml^2)/3
so I did (7.5kg/m x 4m)(4^2)/3
= 160 what units?

4x160 since there are four blades? = 640

6000rotations/min Angular momentum given by L=Iw =640 x (6000/60) = 64000 which seems too big!

could someone tell me if this is right
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's more or less right. You can get the units of I by dimensional analysis.
The only mistake I can see right now is in your calculation of w- check what you've done there.

should it be 6000*2PI / 60 ?

captainjack,

I came up with an answer of 128,000 J*s. You've done everything right so far, except in your first post you didn't calculate angular velocity correctly, but you have in your second post. Plug everything in and you should arrive at 128,000 (kg * m^2)/s or J*s

Sorry but how?
Moment of Inertia =640
L = I w
w = 6000*2PI/60
L = 640 * (6000*2PI)/60
= 402123
Am I doing something really silly?

What the heck? I just redid the calculation and got the same answer you just got. It must be 402,123, I must've made a mistake earlier. But I do believe that is the correct answer.

Thanks!

Related to Calculate Moment of Inertia & Angular Momentum of Helicopter Main Rotor

1. What is the Moment of Inertia of a Helicopter Main Rotor?

The Moment of Inertia of a Helicopter Main Rotor is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by taking into account the mass distribution and the distance of each mass element from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the Moment of Inertia calculated?

The Moment of Inertia is calculated by using the formula I = ∫r²dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the mass element at a given distance from the axis. This integral is typically evaluated using calculus.

3. What factors affect the Moment of Inertia of a Helicopter Main Rotor?

The Moment of Inertia of a Helicopter Main Rotor is affected by several factors, including the mass distribution, the shape and size of the rotor blades, and the distance of the center of mass from the axis of rotation. The shape and size of the helicopter body and any attached components can also affect the Moment of Inertia.

4. How does the Moment of Inertia affect the performance of a helicopter?

The Moment of Inertia plays a crucial role in the stability and maneuverability of a helicopter. A higher Moment of Inertia means that the helicopter requires more force to change its rotational motion, making it more stable but also less maneuverable. A lower Moment of Inertia means that the helicopter can change its rotational motion more easily, making it more maneuverable but also less stable.

5. What is the relationship between Moment of Inertia and Angular Momentum?

The Moment of Inertia and Angular Momentum are directly related to each other. Angular Momentum is the product of the Moment of Inertia and the angular velocity of the object. This means that a higher Moment of Inertia will result in a higher Angular Momentum at a given angular velocity, and vice versa.